Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The girls have been making some progress on the 73 hatch. I have been brainstorming the sequence to the restoration. When engine and tranny are out (soon), all the interior, instrument panel etc, then what? We will have a rolling chassis. I was thinking bout removing front frame and restoring it complete before going any further. Then remove rear end so all that is left is the shell. The shell will be blasted inside out and all the parts associated with it. Then primered top to bottom. Then mount the front end frame and mount front fenders for all the body work? Any help to the sequence would be appreciated. The girls are doing all the work, and I mean all the work. Cept of course some bolts that are too tight for them. Also, I have found that they always will turn a bolt the wrong way first. Must be a girl thing, like telling them to turn off the garden hose. They will always turn it full blast first lol.
Dann

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Dann, it sounds like you have a pretty good plan going. The only things I might suggest is to break each component of your down into sub-plans. One for restoring the front subfram, one for rebuilding the engine, etc. The other thing I would highly recommend is the use of a camera. A digital camera would be the best because you can load all the pictures on cd's. then while the car is being taken apart, you can take LOTS of pictures. It will help tremendously when they are putting the car back together. The last thing is to use zip-lock bags to put put bolts, shims, small part into as the car is being taken apart, and label the bags with a permanent black pen. The picture and the bags will take care of what the memory forgets!

I may have missed it before, but how old are the girls?

Randy (maybe put the plans on paper, with a timeline too!):)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are doing exactly that!! Every time a part is taken off, the camera clicks at all angles. Zip lock bags? We already have everything in them and marked. I was just wondering about the sequence for the body. I am planning on building a rotissorie for the blasting. I assume that a unibody shouldn't be dipped to remove paint. The front fenders I would assume, would be better mounted for any repairs and block sanding. That would mean the whole front frame should be done prior to body work. Any one car to chime in? Any suggestions?
My girls are 22, 21 and a pair of twins that turned 16. Most of the work is done by the twins, they are really into it. Every nut, bolt etc. has been remove by them. They are doing a great job. Course the other two will want to drive when finished, but maybe a ride in the back seat, ha ha. Depends on how much they want to put into it. We will post pics as soon as we can get a site up for them for all to see.
Thank you for all the help, Dann

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Here are a few tips. (This means my way of doing it. Which you may not want to use, do what works for you)

Pick up the Fisher Body, Chassis, and Shop manuals. I do not think the 1973 year had an assembly manual made yet. Look for one, if you can not find it you may want to consider a 1972. Some sections would still apply.

Next pick up a supply of Clear Hinged Lid tote boxes. I would recommend 16 to start with. They are about $5 each at Lowes or Home Depot type stores.

It costs, but believe me it makes a huge difference over cardboard boxes.
- You can also stack them quite high without worrying about them crushing. This takes up only 4 x 3 feet (if stacked 8 high) of floor space for 80% - 90% of the non body parts.
- They also do not deteriorate over time or get greasy.
- You can also see what is in them. I label the outside by the UPC numbers used in assembly manual. This way you do not have to hunt for them.

Pick up a ton of Zip type freezer bags and sharpie markers. Write the UPC code and pages (if you follow the Assembly manual) otherwise try to group them by major component system. Let me know and I can give you the outline. Always write down all of the components and the quantities in the bag. This will help if something drops out of the bag or you loose it while cleaning. Put the cleaned parts in a new bag and stuff the old one in with the parts.

It is VERY important to also write the finish on the parts (we can talk about how to identify them later). The cleaning process destroys the original finish. Most hardware is either Cad, Black or Gray Phosphate, Gold Iriadite (sp?), or painted. There are several levels of Gloss of most black parts.

Organization is everything in making the restoration easier. Label everything and take pictures of before, during, and assembly. It will come in handy later. Pay special attention to labels, painted inspection marks, and codes.

Before you dive into cleaning up parts, you should list what you need to send out or replace with new parts. Prioritize needs by dollars and lead time to get back. You should buy the parts in the order that you plan to assemble them. I.e. do not buy the interior door panels until after the body and mechanical parts are completed. This does two things. One allows you to buy in order you need them. Two saves tons of space by not having to store it all at one time. The exception of this rule is if you get bulk discounts by purchasing it all at one time.

By scheduling the things you need to send out or buy you keep the restoration moving. Consider starting at the bottom and working up. It also lets you plan your budget. Once the first orders are placed them you can clean while you wait for them to arrive or the next batch of cash to arrive. 

Make lists for EVERYTHING on pads of paper by UPC or group. Neatly cross off each item as it is completed. This way you can still read what was done and what needs to be done. Never throw pages away. Multiple pads allow you to add more as you discover it without making a jumble of it.

Let me know if this is helpful and it you want me to continue.

Greg R.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you Greg, very informative. I didn't think of labeling all the parts with codes, great idea. Not too late to do it either. Great advise on picking up 72 assembly manual.
Dann

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Also, I have found that they always will turn a bolt the wrong way first. Must be a girl thing, like telling them to turn off the garden hose. They will always turn it full blast first lol
Have you tried the old "righty tighty--lefty loosey" trick with the girls. Make them memorize it.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
dansker;

Glad to help. I have done quite a bit the hard way.

Greg R.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts