Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running a 62 stock clip with cpp mini deluxe kit, 350 block with 4 speed super t 10 hydraulic clutch, 168 tooth fly wheel and a power master 9500 starter, is anyone running hooker 2122, 2244 with this set up thank you Dave

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
They are Hooker Super Comp headers...the 2212 is for a stick car and the 2243 is for an auto. 1 3/4 tubes for the auto and 1 5/8 for the stick car. You say you have a hydraulic clutch so the 2243 may clear with a stick. 168 flywheel is 11" clutch. Don't know with your CPP mini kit, but with a stock dog house, the 2212 with work with a stick. You may get away with the 2243 with a hydraulic clutch? That I don't know. You did not mention what type of heads you are running.

Straight or angle plugs...what CC are the heads? Other factors to think about.

Dave
67 Nova Boy

·
Registered
103 Posts
Light car with a 4spd, low rpm torque is meaningless. Those 305 heads are used in circle-track claimer classes, they are dirt-cheap and give a compression boost. Your combination, and anybody’s, would be better off with the finest LOW-COST solution possible. VORTEC heads. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your right .125 cc dome pistons .030 over 327 high reving high compression 11.2-1 on 58 cc Edelbrock tm1 intake 2 inch spacer 750 dp mechanical msd mechanical advance 507 527 lift duration @.50 303 311 lsa 106 rear end 3.90 with 26x8 Hoosiers

·
Registered
103 Posts
Racecar stuff. I don’t understand your cylinder head choice. That a lot of compression and cam for any Street driven vehicle; some people would say excessive. Vortecs have a modern heart shaped combustion chamber, this lets you run less timing, and of course cheaper fuel. They flow better than any cast iron head. And are very reasonably priced on Car-parts.com, an online salvage yard listing. They won’t accept that much lift on the cam, stock, but they run fine with any cheap small hydraulic cam. My son’s mud truck runs a 383’. Flattops and Vortecs. And a tiny generic cam, I think it’s a Perfect Circle product. Idles at about 800 rpm with 18” of vacuum. It pulls hard to 5800 rpm and runs fine on regular pump gas. This combo in a 3200lb car would pull highway gears and a stock converter easily. I know this probably isn’t what you’re looking for, but it is about the cheapest HP available.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Probably advertised duration, still that’s a lot of cam for a relatively small motor. I sure it Revs fine, but high rpm is hard on valvetrain components. My only point is, a larger motor spinning slower makes for a more streetable and reliable combination.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With the 327 the 3.025 stroke makes it ramp the rpms faster and using more of the top of the cylinder hole to get compression as high to support the cam choice it's a street driven quarter mile car and a 15 lb flywheel the car makes torque just want it to come in later so you can launch it with out knocking the tires off torque comes in about 4300 and max hp about 7300

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Head choice was free had 461 camel that's the guides were gone so instead of 2000 afrs I went with these for a season

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
With the 327 the 3.025 stroke makes it ramp the rpms faster and using more of the top of the cylinder hole to get compression as high to support the cam choice it's a street driven quarter mile car and a 15 lb flywheel the car makes torque just want it to come in later so you can launch it with out knocking the tires off torque comes in about 4300 and max hp about 7300
The 327 has a 3.25" stroke It doesn't rev any faster than a similar build with a longer stroke. Every engine uses the top of the stroke to create compression, and it's a lot easier to do with the intake valves closed early.

Blowing off 8" slicks with a 327 isn't a function of too much torque, it's poor suspension reaction. I had 8" slicks on my 67 with a 406/700R4/4.11 drivetrain and had no problems with traction.

Doing a little math on your drivetrain shows you running 148 mph at 7500 rpm. That means you will never see 4th gear in a 1/4 mile pass, probably not even the top of 3rd, so you are giving up a lot of e.t.at the starting line.

Your combustion chamber specs seem to be changing from post to post. 58cc? 64cc? Trying to get 11:1 compression with a 64cc head on a 327 doesn't leave a lot of piston choices. Big and heavy with a big lump to impede the flame front travel.

How much of this engine is already put together?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The 461 have a 64 cc chamber the heads I'm running now are 58cc (416) and you lost me if an engine has less stroke it's going to rev faster look at a 396 or 427 and the look at the deep breathing 454 the 396 will rev faster due to a shorter stroke same with the sbc .... and at the end of the day saying macho is 7300 and shifting there are different so I'm glad your trying to call me out but couldn't help on the original post with HEADERS but thanks mike cool 406 400 .030 over you keep the big dish piston on it to for street right lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Calvert suspension is Calvert split mono leafs with caltracs and 9 way adjustable with 90/10s upfront

1 - 20 of 32 Posts