Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 73 Nova Custom Hatchback 350 with a 4-speed "rock crusher" tranny. It has the SS emblems on it, but I am not too sure if this car really is a true SS. It just seems to be too good to be true for me, as I have been told that my car is rather rare...If someone could shed some light on this for me and maybe give me something to look for to identify it that would be great! Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I have a 73 Nova Custom Hatchback 350 with a 4-speed "rock crusher" tranny. It has the SS emblems on it, but I am not too sure if this car really is a true SS. It just seems to be too good to be true for me, as I have been told that my car is rather rare...If someone could shed some light on this for me and maybe give me something to look for to identify it that would be great! Thanks in advance
What make you think you have a "rock crusher" trans? The nickname "rock crusher" was only used on the heavy duty M22 4-speed trans. That trans was only available in the Nova in 1968 and 1969. Did you or a previous owner replace the original trans with an M22?

As for being a real SS, it may be. You could order the SS package on the standard Nova or the Nova Custom. Do you have any pictures of your Nova you can post?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What make you think you have a "rock crusher" trans? The nickname "rock crusher" was only used on the heavy duty M22 4-speed trans. That trans was only available in the Nova in 1968 and 1969. Did you or a prevuous owner replac the original trans with an M22?

As for being a real SS, it may be. You could order the SS package on the standard Nova or the Nova Custom. Do you have any pictures of your Nova you can post?
It does actually have an M-22 tansmission in it (my father in-law owns a transmission shop and he is a mechanic) , who put it in I am unsure as I just recently recieved the car as a birthday gift. I will try to post pics for you as soon as I can figure it out! Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
No matter what it is I would take it :yes: .

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
Your grill is all black, which is incorrect for a 73-4 SS car. Two horizontal bars above and below the parking lights should still be argent silver.

If your hatch is sporting an SS emblem where normally a NOVA with a Bowtie emblem would be, your car might be an SS. If it has NOVA and the bowtie on the hatch, you have the Custom. If you have an SS hornpad, even those can be switched out easily. If your hornpad says NOVA, you have a Custom.

I bought a 74 Hatchback brand new back in the day. I didn't like the stripes, blackout trim and the ralley wheels that were standard on the 74 SS.

So I took it upon myself to buy all the 73 style emblems and clone one myself - the night I brought the car home.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
That colour looks pretty cool!:yes:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really nice car bro, you said was a birthday present? wow, what a good present.....:eek:
My name is Krystal, :eek: and yes it was a birthday present from my boyfriend.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I'm not sure what's cooler, you liking/wanting the Nova or your boyfriend buying you one! Either way, it's cool to see another Nova!:cool:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure what's cooler, you liking/wanting the Nova or your boyfriend buying you one! Either way, it's cool to see another Nova!:cool:
Thanks! I think my boyfriend buying me my Nova is cooler! It was time for me to have my own toy (considering he has 3 on the go!)

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Thanks! I think my boyfriend buying me my Nova is cooler! It was time for me to have my own toy (considering he has 3 on the go!)
LOL! me too, or 3!:eek: I've got 3 as well!

My wife prefers the passenger seat though, that's cool too. I enjoy cruising with her close in the bench seat car.:rolleyes::)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
LOL! me too, or 3!:eek: I've got 3 as well!

My wife prefers the passenger seat though, that's cool too. I enjoy cruising with her close in the bench seat car.:rolleyes::)
LOL :D I never had a chance to ride in the passenger seat in his cars 'cause he drag races! I just wanted a cruiser something that I could just get in and go (and look good too!) Well I can't say I never had a chance...I did once, I had to sit on a milk crate and hold on to the roll cage! What a Ride! but needless to say the cops don't like that and we don't drive the car on the streets....

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
LOL :D I never had a chance to ride in the passenger seat in his cars 'cause he drag races! I just wanted a cruiser something that I could just get in and go (and look good too!) Well I can't say I never had a chance...I did once, I had to sit on a milk crate and hold on to the roll cage! What a Ride! but needless to say the cops don't like that and we don't drive the car on the streets....
That's funny, I think I've done a few of those!

Where are you in Ontario? I'm in Keswick south east side of Lake Simcoe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's funny, I think I've done a few of those!

Where are you in Ontario? I'm in Keswick south east side of Lake Simcoe.
Right now we live in Chapleau, but we are originally from Sault Ste Marie..we are hoping to move back home soon! lol Are you going to the Barrie Flea Market in June 4-7?

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Right now we live in Chapleau, but we are originally from Sault Ste Marie..we are hoping to move back home soon! lol Are you going to the Barrie Flea Market in June 4-7?
It's up in the air yet, it's going to be my 19 anniversary and I always got to the show, so I was debating taking her away this year, but it's not in stone!:rolleyes:

Are you guys making the trip? Your a fair ways north of me.:yes:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
It's up in the air yet, it's going to be my 19 anniversary and I always got to the show, so I was debating taking her away this year, but it's not in stone!:rolleyes:

Are you guys making the trip? Your a fair ways north of me.:yes:
Oh Yeah we'll be there! We booked our rooms the first week in April! You should talk her into it...if she likes cars she will love it! And even if not there's more than just cars there! It will truly be an anniversary she won't forget! :yes: I know if it was our anniversary I would be extatic to go! but I am a car girl..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts