Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to possible upgrading my camshaft soon
Dont really know much about it, so I need your help
What I can put in since Im runing now: 350sbc: competition roller rockers/ miled cam/ about 447 lift and 222 duration/ weiand 7530 team G intake/holly 670 carb/flowmaster super 40s exhaust with X pipe

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
It depends on what you want out of your new cam. I would recommend using COMP CAM'S "virtual Dyno" on their web site to give you dyno numbers using the rest of your engine specs and trying different cams grinds to show the different HP & Torque curves. On the site click on TECH SUPPORT then click on Cam Recommendation then click on Cam Quest online. You don't need to use a COMP CAM but the data can help you pick the right one.

·
Registered
265 Posts
honestly your engine build seems fine definately in the 300 hp range... I would recommend THE REST OF YOUR DRIVETRAIN.

example 400 hp motor with a stock motor and rear is only going to get ( if its lucky ) 275 hp to the ground. Suspension, gearing etc all have a part to play. If you go any bigger on the cam your going to need to build up the rear (i.e. taller gears) and yank the transmission and ( at least) drop in a shift kit/valve body combo)

my 2 cents is.. motor build is fine put in 3.55 or 3.73's and call me in the morning.

dont worry youll thank me later....
:yes::yes::yes:

EDIT: just noticed it says 4 speed.... dont sweat your trans... drop in rear gears and enjoy the drive....that is all

·
Registered
700 Posts
as they say it all in the gears
you need to know your gear ratio ,
do to a bad swap on my part mine had 2;56 gears at one time ,with sb a comp 305 cam 555 lift in that case you forget 3 and 4 gears and drive it power glide style (2 speed)

your cam should be good i use this all the time , figure out the gear you have first
i think 3.55 would be good all around i guess is you have 2.73

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes engine works great and has plenty of power I wanna change camshaft to get that unique sound :devil:

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I use COMP CAM'S XE268. duration 224/230 lift .477/.480...Great low and mid range power. Sounds great with a nice lope to it--but not too radical. Works great with the rest of my engine setup---9:1 compression, pocket ported heads 2.02/1.60 valves; Edelbrock 600 & performer intake. I run 3.42 rear gears with a manual 4 spd.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have 3.08 right now, but I will be changing it soon to 3.42 or 3.55, like I said above I wanna get that nasty rough sound ( love that)

as they say it all in the gears
you need to know your gear ratio ,
do to a bad swap on my part mine had 2;56 gears at one time ,with sb a comp 305 cam 555 lift in that case you forget 3 and 4 gears and drive it power glide style (2 speed)

your cam should be good i use this all the time , figure out the gear you have first
i think 3.55 would be good all around i guess is you have 2.73

·
Registered
700 Posts
if you are going for sound use a comp thumper series cam
they don't allways make the most power but they sound awesome

·
Registered
265 Posts
remember that lopey sound is going to affect things like vacuum, power curve and fuel consumption...

Without altering your drivability, get a thumper cam... keep your power band in the same area and still drivable.. but give you that nasty sound.

gearing is necessary though.... that cam rumble sounds great till a ricer walks you in the quarter... all that power without getting it to the ground is like talking a huge game and having a glass jaw...

either way its your car do what you enjoy... :yes:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my gears are now 3.55 still wanna change the cam
xe268h or he268h?
maybe something else I really want that loopey sound

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
Lopey sounding cams are not ideal for street use. The sound comes from both intake and exhaust valves on the same cylinder having a lot of overlap. Engines with that sound make power in the upper rpm range. Your set up is giving you good torque and horsepower right where it is needed. Even with the Thumper series you will lose bottom end power. I would rather sound stock and be able to blow your doors off then to sound mean and lose :D

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
When I originally bought my engine it had a Crower thumper-type cam in it that was in really good condition. But I compared its specs and power curve on the Comp Cam site with the cam I ended up putting in. I'm sure the new cam I chose sounds more tame but it puts out at least 10% more HP & torque than the "radical" thumper cam--and strong at the lower & mid RPM levels. The XE268 I have is a little higher lift than yours (480) and a little longer duration (230). It would be more lopy than what you have but not real choppy. You easily can tell it's not a stock cam ...and with your 40 series mufflers would sound great!

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I have a stock camshaft. My car can run down a Z06 corvette. A good drivetrain/suspension and a little nitrous goes a long way.

Kev

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lopey sounding cams are not ideal for street use. The sound comes from both intake and exhaust valves on the same cylinder having a lot of overlap. Engines with that sound make power in the upper rpm range. Your set up is giving you good torque and horsepower right where it is needed. Even with the Thumper series you will lose bottom end power. I would rather sound stock and be able to blow your doors off then to sound mean and lose :D
yeah I get it, but Im not looking to race, this car is only for joy rides ;-)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Well if its only sound your after go with a thumper cam with maybe a lil more lift than you have now,personally im in this for more than sound. and yes what he said cam quest six is a good tool for a computer guestimate

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
yes engine works great and has plenty of power I wanna change camshaft to get that unique sound :devil:
I understand and the best way in my opinion to accomplish the compromise between both performance on a street light to street light basis and keep the motor street friendly is to run a mild street cam with a tight LSA. Get the overlap around 62 to 64* with the total duration between 268 and 274. More lift will help keep the motor strong at higher RPM. Do you have power brakes? What compression do you currently have? Here is a link to a video of the Crane 274H06 cam sound. (62* of overlap) Is this lopey enough? Jackel
274HO6 ... 1800-5400 -- 218 218 @.050 274 274 106LSA .450 .450 Lift

The Thumper has 74* of overlap and much longer total duration in the exhaust especially. Much higher @.050 duration 227 & 241. Will not work with most power brakes. Will produce less low end torque on the street. Still a good THUMPY street cam though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts