Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone...

Here in freezing Minnesota. Well here it is.... to get to it, I put new cam in and I feel it's moving from front to back too far.

no button
no retaining plate
I can move cam so far the back the cam lobes are almost halfway off the lifters.
I know the cam has a slant while spinning pushing cam to rear of motor and will rotate the lifters, but I'm feeling the cam goes too far back
So the timing gear will move a lot and lifters will basically run half way off the lobes... is that ok or is that too far. What is too far????

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Is this a fresh rebuild or just a camshaft change. If it's just a camshaft change there shouldn't be a problem unless the new camshaft itself was ground short or something has caused the rear freeze plug to move. I've never seen either of those things happen. Sometimes the camshaft sprocket on timing chains will be milled for a thrust washer to help prevent wear on the face of the block. I would double check to make sure I didn't need a thrust washer between the block and camshaft sprocket. You may have to contact the people who made the timing set. If this is a new timing set I would measure the thickness of the camshaft sprocket against the one that came off. There is always going to be a little play in the camshaft when it is installed. The timing chain itself will help keep the camshaft from running too far back. You can't have the camshaft running against the rear freeze plug.

·
Registered
893 Posts
From the one picture where you show the lobes it does not look that far off. The center of the lifter is still squarely on the lobe. The edge of the lifter doesn't touch the lobe surface anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts