Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang..

I have an issue with the new cam I installed. I contacted Comp Cams and got their advice on a camshaft. They suggested a 268 XFI HR13 camshaft. I have a 383 Eagle Crank, Eagle Rods, Speed Pro flat top 2 valve relief pistons, Dart Aluminum 72cc chambers, 180cc intake runners, TPI 24lbs injectors, 58mm throttle body Harris Proformance Chip. I have a roller block. I installed the cam new roller lifters, 1.6 rockers. It ran okay. I was not too impressed. I pulled a Comp XE262H. Changed springs to Engine Pro 1.437 135# @ 1750 install height. When I installed the heads I checked the springs and after the break in the springs were 130# on the seat. And 300# at .575 lift. I ran the engine for about 3 weeks and I bet I adjusted the valves 4 times. At idle they was no noise. at about 2500 rpm I could hear the lifters. Well last week I was out for a drive and was going down the highway at about 70 mph and the rpm were around 2100 and 50 lbs oil pressure(Tremec TKO600 with 3.08 gears and 25.5 tires) I started to hear my lifters. So I went home and pulled the valve covers and started adjusting the lifters. Started it back up with the valve covers off and noticed my rockers looked like they were metal flaked. So I shut the engine down and started pulling the motor apart. I thought I must have wiped out the camshaft. got the cam out and it looked perfect, so my next thought was must have wiped out some bearings so I pulled the pan and started looking at bearings looked like new. the only thing I can think of is it must be coming from the inside of the lifters. I put the old XE262H hyd flat tappet cam in and pulled the inter springs now I'm at 110 on the seat. Got it back together last night and sound great 50 lbs at cold idle and 40 at warm idle. lifters are quite as a church mouse. I've heard some folks are having problems with the roller lifters on these XFI camshafts because of the aggressive ramp on these camshafts. Any suggests, comments, abusive statements??

Thanks Mitch

·
Registered
362 Posts
I am running the XE268H in my new 283 and I have alot of lifter noise and can also hear the roller rockers at around 2000-2500. I expect to hear the roller rockers but I guess I just live with a lil noise.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
The noise wouldn't concern me as much as where was the metal coming from? You didn't mention anything you did to find the source. If it didn't come from the cam, was it the lifters? And what part of a lifter is going to leave metal? You mentioned having a roller block, did you use the correct lifters for that block? I believe the lifters have a different height than the ones for a non-roller block--maybe there was contact with the lifter/block?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Did you use any spring cups/seats when you assembled the heads? The springs will eat into the aluminum heads otherwise. :yes:

It's possible that cam might require MORE spring pressure to keep it all in check but that wouldn't typically cause it to be noisy at that low of an RPM.

You didn't mention who's lifters you're using. I really don't like the Comp's and have seen plenty people having issues with them being noisy.

1.75" is a pretty small installed height.....especially for a conventional spring package. A GOOD set of beehives might be the answer.

·
Registered
508 Posts
i am running the xe268h in my new 283 and i have alot of lifter noise and can also hear the roller rockers at around 2000-2500. I expect to hear the roller rockers but i guess i just live with a lil noise.
if your hearing your valve train at all you need to adjust your valves. That cam is a hyd. And dont require any lash. I have never heard and valve train noise from a f/t hyd. Cam even with roller rockers. Jmo.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the reply.. I pulled everything apart and didnt find anything except I believe the metal is coming from inside the lifters. I took them apart and did see some wear. I think the lifter is sinking under the quick ramp on the camshaft. I pulled the entire motor down and checked everything and all looked great. Like I said I thought I wiped out the camshaft but the lobes and rollers on the lifters looked new.

thanks

The noise wouldn't concern me as much as where was the metal coming from? You didn't mention anything you did to find the source. If it didn't come from the cam, was it the lifters? And what part of a lifter is going to leave metal? You mentioned having a roller block, did you use the correct lifters for that block? I believe the lifters have a different height than the ones for a non-roller block--maybe there was contact with the lifter/block?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did use Engine Pro spring cups. I called Comp before I put the camshaft in and they want 130 on the seat.
This is the spec on the springs I installed
02-1004-16 DUAL 1.437 135# @ 1.750 307# @ 1.150 .640 CHROME SILICON

I dont remember what name was on the lifters I believe they are stock replacements.

Did you use any spring cups/seats when you assembled the heads? The springs will eat into the aluminum heads otherwise. :yes:

It's possible that cam might require MORE spring pressure to keep it all in check but that wouldn't typically cause it to be noisy at that low of an RPM.

You didn't mention who's lifters you're using. I really don't like the Comp's and have seen plenty people having issues with them being noisy.

1.75" is a pretty small installed height.....especially for a conventional spring package. A GOOD set of beehives might be the answer.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was running a roller camshaft with roller rockers also.

thanks again folks for all the replys. With all of your help maybe I figure out what the problem is.

thanks Mitch

if your hearing your valve train at all you need to adjust your valves. That cam is a hyd. And dont require any lash. I have never heard and valve train noise from a f/t hyd. Cam even with roller rockers. Jmo.

·
Registered
362 Posts
A re-adjust of the rockers silenced the noise now just that lovely roller sound. A lock was down further in the nut than it should be and made it feel tight when the rocker wasn't. hard to describe what I am talking about but at any rate she's quiet now.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wished that is all my problem was. I adjusted the rockers every way you can think of and no help. The strange part was it would be fine for a day or two and then it would start back up like if you had press in studs pulling out. But they are screw in studs. Oh well I put the old camshaft in and all is good now. Maybe someday I'll find out and put the roller cam back in.

thanks for your reply.

Mitch

A re-adjust of the rockers silenced the noise now just that lovely roller sound. A lock was down further in the nut than it should be and made it feel tight when the rocker wasn't. hard to describe what I am talking about but at any rate she's quiet now.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
You may have had a bum couple lifters. :rolleyes:

It happens.:yes:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think you are correct. What lifter are good out there these days. I know there has been some bad lifters running around, anyone have a line on what brand is good?

Thanks all

You may have had a bum couple lifters. :rolleyes:

It happens.:yes:

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Give Competition Products a call and talk to Butch Patterson.:yes: It's an easy way to make sure you get AMERICAN MADE lifters!! Like these:
http://www.competitionproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=91164

Do you need OE style lifters or link-bar style (Retro-fit) lifters?

FYI: Typically the retro-fit lifters are a little better made and will more easily take higher lobe lifts than the OE style "Dog-Bone" style set-ups.:yes:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a roller block so I have the dog bone style lifters. I had a set of link bar but the bar touched the block when the lifter was on the base circle. I'll call and see what they have to offer.

Thanks for all your help

mitch

Give Competition Products a call and talk to Butch Patterson.:yes: It's an easy way to make sure you get AMERICAN MADE lifters!! Like these:
http://www.competitionproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=91164

Do you need OE style lifters or link-bar style (Retro-fit) lifters?

FYI: Typically the retro-fit lifters are a little better made and will more easily take higher lobe lifts than the OE style "Dog-Bone" style set-ups.:yes:

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I had an issue with a Comp hyd roller cam where too much preload on the lifter caused noise and would cause the engine to run rough. I had them set at 1/2" turn then backed them off to 1/8" turn. That turned out to be the trick. I talked to camgrinder and he told me Comp has some runout issues with their cams and in this case I also may have had too much spring pressure. You could see the lifter bleed off and watch the rocker move back toward the closed position. The lifters were also retrofit lifters.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Who's lifters were you using and how much spring pressure?
I was using 1/2 to 3/4 turn.. Hmmmmm

Thanks for the reply

I had an issue with a Comp hyd roller cam where too much preload on the lifter caused noise and would cause the engine to run rough. I had them set at 1/2" turn then backed them off to 1/8" turn. That turned out to be the trick. I talked to camgrinder and he told me Comp has some runout issues with their cams and in this case I also may have had too much spring pressure. You could see the lifter bleed off and watch the rocker move back toward the closed position. The lifters were also retrofit lifters.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts