Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having camber issues. The top of the tires are kicked in and the inside of the tire is wearing out. Any advice why this maybe happening on stock '63?

I bought a polyurethane front end rebuild kit. How hard is it to swap out the front end ? Should I swap out the parts and take it in for alignment once done? Any tips on rebuilding the front end on first gen would be greatly appreciated, to let me know whats in store for me.

·
Super Moderator
3,887 Posts
It's not all that hard, really. It sounds like you still have a stock front end.

Other than regular tools, you will need a spring compressor for the front springs, a press to press out old lower and upper control arm bushings (or be able to take them to a shop with a press that does that work), and perhaps a pitman arm puller to pull off the pitman arm if you plan to replace that.

It's doubtful, but if the upper and or lower ball joints are original, then they are still riveted to the control arm and the rivets must be drilled out or ground off to remove them. Chances are they are currently held in by bolts.

Other than the bushings (upper and lower) and ball joints (upper and lower) you might consider replacing or rebuilding the idler arm, replacing worn tie rod ends, replacing a worn pitman arm, and almost certainly the strut rod bushings. The removal of the large interference nuts from the strut rod might be difficult as they are often frozen, but replacement of these strut rod bushings with the heavy duty replacement available (like a Moog K069 type) will help a lot. If you have a front stabilizer bar, then bushings for that and new ends might be in order if they are worn.

Not that tough a job, but those are the specialty tools.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
All those tools can be borrowed at most automotive shops. Really not that hard if you have basic wrenching skills and YouTube

When you get to separating the ball joints do it after an aggravating day at work, you can not hit it hard enough and I found it does wonders for stress!

Sent while texting and drag racing

1 - 4 of 4 Posts