Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always read SBC's like the exhaust side either a little more duration and less lift than the intake side. Always had cams that way too.

Seen a few cams now that square the lift and still have a little more exhaust duration... Howards is a good example of this.

Anyone run a Cam like this in a big inch SBC? Results?

Just looking for comments right now.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I have always read SBC's like the exhaust side either a little more duration and less lift than the intake side. Always had cams that way too.

Seen a few cams now that square the lift and still have a little more exhaust duration... Howards is a good example of this.

Anyone run a Cam like this in a big inch SBC? Results?

Just looking for comments right now.
Call Straub. He’ll lead you in the right direction....

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I won't get into who to call BUT this is what worked for me from Cam Motion.
2x in a row!
HR 11.78'[email protected]/114 with a 10.1 355 and a 10.69 @ 122.3 coasting and NO TUNING with a 10.5:1, 2 bolt 406 SR. Oh yeah, on 91 octane.:yes:
406 total monster.
SAME (195) heads on both engines. Just a spring change! :yes:

SR card. probably be copied....:D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
The cam in my 421 is real similar to wht73s. I’ve got just a touch more lift and duration. Works great for me. Mid 10s on motor with 3.73s and a fairly tight 4K converter. Pump gas motor. Car weighs 3300.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Current Cam is a straub hyd roller.
244/244 duration
611/594 lift
109 lsa
5 degrees advance
** I think it's a little small for my set up.

Comp suggests
254/260 dur
636//620 lift
110 lsa
Still working on advance

Howards
251/255 dur
640/619 lift
110 lsa

Isky
248/252
640/640
** this is why I asked about a square lift.

All of the Cam builders said I'd need to go to a 1 7/8 or 2" primary which means fenderwells to spin past ~7000K which is why I'd go SR. I have the hyd valve train to get me too 7K safely so I think I'll stick with a hyd setup and 11.5 compression.

Have a call into Bullet, I'll give Cam motion as call to and see if I can catch some WHT voodoo :sunglasses:

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
My solid roller is 264/269 duration, .665-.635 lift on a 108 lobe sep. Have my rev limiter set at 7600 and it gets there before I can shift out of 1st. It made peak power at 7100 rpm on my last chassis dyno tune.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
What is your exhaust primary size and the Cam advance?
I’d have to peak at my cam card again. The headers are just super comps. 1-3/4” primaries. I know the engine would benefit from some custom 2” primary headers...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Not that this is of much help, but I found very similar advice to what you've heard hunting around looking for a cam to stab into my 400 build this winter. A handful of different forums all pointed to the same direction: "more lift and duration" on the exhaust side.

I'll be using the Comp XE262H for my setup in hopes of having a streetable, but well matched setup.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I'll 2nd what 66II said! Mine would rev to 7500 in a heart beat! :yes:
Same thing, 1-3/4" super comps.
Sooooooooo to go along with my tiny heads and tiny hedders I'd say it was working pretty good!:D

Oh yeah, the super secret stuff...mine was a 4/7 swap.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I’d have to peak at my cam card again. The headers are just super comps. 1-3/4” primaries. I know the engine would benefit from some custom 2” primary headers...
$$$$$ not worth the gains over the 1-3/4"
Maybe if you were spraying it like the OP.
I agree. The cost of a custom set of bigger headers isn’t worth a tenth or maybe 2 tenths. My car is just a daily driver that I take to the track a couple times a year. Not a max effort racer.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey WHT, Cam motion guys are cool. Really took a lot of time to go thru what I had and what I wanted. So far I liked what they had to say better than the others. Actually said I might be under carb'd for what I'm using the car for, they would like to see a 1050 but the 950 would be okay. Stated no seat of pants changes down low but would not fall off on the big end with the specs below.
** I have always thought my car didn't pull thru on the big end, I didn't mention this they did and they told me where it fell off and why.

254/264 dur
650/630 lift
112 LSA
+4 ground in

Talked me out of the 4/7 swap stating it was only a few HP way up in the RPM and for the cash wasn't worth it.

Really wanted to put me in a 256 or 258 int dur with +10 exh but I didn't have enough compression at 11.5.

Also liked a max 650 lift with my 1.6 rockers as it would not be hard on the valve train. Hung up and started wondering what if I threw on a set of 1.5's, would they add more and what would I get... questions for my next call. Thanks for the reference!

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Hey WHT, Cam motion guys are cool. Really took a lot of time to go thru what I had and what I wanted. So far I liked what they had to say better than the others. Actually said I might be under carb'd for what I'm using the car for, they would like to see a 1050 but the 950 would be okay. Stated no seat of pants changes down low but would not fall off on the big end with the specs below.
** I have always thought my car didn't pull thru on the big end, I didn't mention this they did and they told me where it fell off and why.

254/264 dur
650/630 lift
112 LSA
+4 ground in

Talked me out of the 4/7 swap stating it was only a few HP way up in the RPM and for the cash wasn't worth it.

Really wanted to put me in a 256 or 258 int dur with +10 exh but I didn't have enough compression at 11.5.

Also liked a max 650 lift with my 1.6 rockers as it would not be hard on the valve train. Hung up and started wondering what if I threw on a set of 1.5's, would they add more and what would I get... questions for my next call. Thanks for the reference!
Yeah my last engine guy used them with good results with several of his clients.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts