Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i have a 355 with a solid lift 538 cam and was just wondering what you guys thought about the roller cams if they are worth that much more money and if the hp is worth it was going to get 600 to 630 lift solid roller

·
Registered
661 Posts
Me personally, I think it would be worth it since lobes will not go flat or wipe. Only thing I'm hearing about them are lifters coming apart. I guess there are pros and cons to a dlat or roller cam. I Like the flats due to cost and performance. It's the best bang for the buck sorta like vortec heads. If your having problems with or worried about wiping lobes a roller would be next in line. If no problems I see nothing wrong with a solid flat. Also is every lil bit of HP needed or is this a street/ strip deal. If your pockets are deep I would get a solid or hyd roller and never look back

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
1. If your having problems with or worried about wiping lobes a roller would be next in line. If no problems I see nothing wrong with a solid flat. 2. Also is every lil bit of HP needed or is this a street/ strip deal. If your pockets are deep I would get a solid or hyd roller and never look back
I agree...X2

·
Registered
527 Posts
My engine builder told me at most you can see a gain of about 20-25hp by switching from flat tappet to roller. If I had the money and space for it I absolutely would have gone that route on my recent build, but my valve covers would have hit the vacuum booster for my brakes, and the A/C box on the other side of the engine compartment.

·
Registered
328 Posts
My engine builder told me at most you can see a gain of about 20-25hp by switching from flat tappet to roller. If I had the money and space for it I absolutely would have gone that route on my recent build, but my valve covers would have hit the vacuum booster for my brakes, and the A/C box on the other side of the engine compartment.
The difference between the right cam and wrong cam can be huge. I cammed a 540CID engine that had a well known companies cam in it. The heads had been butchered by who ever ported them and engine needed a 26 degree split at .050" to optimize the combination. 136HP later the engine had some power.

When comparing flat tappet lobes to roller lobes be careful. Roller lobes have much more area under the curve than a flat lobe. If you are using a 250 duration flat tappet then you need about a 232 roller @ .050" to be about the same curve area.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DUCK, (Cool choice for a name) exactly. What heads are you using? Bang for the buck for racing or street?...Jackel
sportsman 2 with 2.05 and a little work done to them and also going to have 6inch eagle rod with 11cc je dome piston

·
Registered
328 Posts
The sportsman II are very good heads and can make great power. With the 2.05 valve they have had work done. To properly cam the engine the flow numbers need to be known for the heads. This way based on what they can move air in and out the cam can be selected.

Newport, you guys had quite the legend down there with Popcorn. He was a true spirit of the American way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts