Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek: O.K., I bought a Pete Jackson timing gear set on ebay. It is new, but only had some of the intructions with it. Now I know how to install it, but dont know about the cam timing. It came with about 5 cam buttons that I am sure are different degrees. How can I find out which is which, and any advice on what degree to use if any? I think I am asking this the right way, so sorry if I messed up.:eek:

·
Registered
857 Posts
How about a little info on your engine so we can better answer your question,What cam,heads,rocker arm,compression etc etc...... does your engine have.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry. It is a 454 bored 30 over.
TRW forged pistons with around 8 1/2 to 1 compression
Forged GM crank
Forged Scat Rods
Crane Powermax # 134561 (Hydraulic)
Lift .553"/.571"
Duration 296 / 306
RPM Range 3000 - 6600
Iron Heads with port work and 2.25 / 1.90 valves
Dart single plane intake
It will have a D1SC Procharger set up with a 850 DP Holley and 12#'s of Boost

I hope that is enough info.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I had to put a motor together a couple months ago with a Milodon gear drive and had no idea how it went together since it came in a basket. I went to their web site and found printable instructions there for theirs. I had a PJ gear drive years ago and I hated it because of the backlash. This Milodon was actually a pretty decent unit with no backlash like the PJ had. See if PJ has a site with instructions? JMHO, RM

·
Registered
9,992 Posts

The offset bushings usually come in 0,1,3,5,7 or 0,2,4,6,8 degrees of advance, with the highest offset being the most eccentric.
The cam you chose comes with 5° of advance ground in, so you'll probably use the zero degree bushing with the centered hole.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike Goble said:

The offset bushings usually come in 0,1,3,5,7 or 0,2,4,6,8 degrees of advance, with the highest offset being the most eccentric.
The cam you chose comes with 5° of advance ground in, so you'll probably use the zero degree bushing with the centered hole.
Perfect. Thank you very much Mike.:D

·
Registered
362 Posts
I agree, use the 0 key. I have played with cam timing and can say I never realized any track tested difference from 4 retart to 4 adv. I think the reason is there is a slight benefit to moving adv or retard, you basically shift things slightly, retard will give you a slightly higher pk HP, when I say slight I mean 2-3Hp on a 400hp motor, but will slightly reduce you mid range. So any pk gain will probably be offset by a mid range loss. Just my theory/thoughts.

After spending countless hours playing with this I install my cams "straight up", only verifying that what I have is consistant with the manufactuer specs.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Actually what this does is changes the valve opening and closeing cycle.Which builds up more cylinder pressure when advanced, And bleeds off some when retarded.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts