Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im working on a 69 nova 396, just got done putting it all back together after replaceing a bad cam ( new lifters timing chain and gears) now the engine sounds like it is spinning really easy like ice but it isnt fireinG. (Spark plugs are firing thou.)

As for when i put the distributor back in i put #1 piston to the top and pointed rotor at number one on dist. cap, like should be done, but here is where it gets tricking, for some reason when i bought this car the rotor was alway put on the opposite way then what it was sopused to go on as, and was never sure why.(What im talking about is the square notch and round notch on the bottom of the rotor)

so now the car isnt starting and have no clue what to do. HELP!:confused:

Harley

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Did you rearrange the spark plugs wires? The number 1 wire should match up with the rotor. If not the engine won't start. There is a good how to in the "Best of Tech" section.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cam replacement

yes that all checks out as far as the rotor pointing to #1 on the cap, however the engine spins really fast, installed new lifters should i have done something different, like try to get oil into them. i notice when adjusting that they would move easy were as the old ones that had been pump up i could not move by hand, was even hard in a vise to get the old lifters to move. with all that said it would seem that is why the engine spins so freely, any ideas or soultions would be apprciated. thanks Harley:confused: :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
Solid cam or Hyd, have you set your lash correctly?

Make sure your engine is on the compression for #1 to set timing, pull #1 spark plug stick your finger against the hole to feel when the piston is coming up, then turn engine by hand until timing comes around to TDC.

Then check you leads, are the oncorrect or maybe 180% out?

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Did you prime the motor by turning the oil pump with a drill motor when you got it together? It requires a distributor base and shaft or a tool designed for priming the motor? I like to turn the motor over with a ratchet while I run the primer too so everything gets some oil. If so the lifters would be pumped up. Did you over tighten the valve lash before you primed it so the valves aren't closed now? That's what is sounds like if it spins fast like it has no compression. I'd prime the motor, then recheck you lash settings are my thoughts. To find #1 rotor position turn the motor over until the intake valve on #1 closes and then the marker comes to TDC on the balancer. Install the distributor and check the wires for being right. It ought to crank. RM

1 - 5 of 5 Posts