Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Most stock SBC's that are a none roller engine came with less than .410 lift. So that is pretty much the max lift you could use with stock springs and have no worries. I mean you could through in a .5xx plus lift cam and not worry about it but it would never be right. Always match your springs with your cam.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i plan to run the summit 442/465 cam.should the stock springs be fine with that cam?

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
If you have stock exhaust rotators with short springs, no. Not to mention the stock springs have undoubtedly lost tension. You should almost always replace the springs when putting in an aftermarket camshaft.
elblako is doing just that in his 400 thread. Check it out.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i just want the thump.whats the smallest cam i can go with and still get the rough idle?how hard is it to change valve springs?

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Didn't we just go through this in at least two other threads? I don't suppose you did any searching or read other threads.

stock 400 wants choppy cam

Stock 350 wants choppy cam

stock 307 wants choppy cam

Maybe elblako91 can post a picture of changing valve springs since he's doing just that in the thread I recommended you read.
thats y i asked him what his plans were for the cam, i went through the same thing man read my 350 one i took all the info given and made the decision not to, after u read it all u can see why i made my mind up

1 - 13 of 13 Posts