Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK i have a comp cams solid roller right now. It has a .507 and .525 lift. I want a larger lift cam. Can someone please explain the difference between a solid roller and hyd. roller cam? WHich is better to run in a drag racing set-up? Anyone have any suggestions on a much larger cam to buy? Any help would be appreciated thanks
The Kid

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
hydralic uses the engines oil to keep them pumped up and solid are just that, but need rocker adjustment. solid is better for power, but both are good.If your running a smallblock you could install 1.6 ratio rocker and get .031 more lift and about 2 degrees more duration, so lift would now be .538/.556

·
Registered
508 Posts
OK i have a comp cams solid roller right now. It has a .507 and .525 lift. I want a larger lift cam. Can someone please explain the difference between a solid roller and hyd. roller cam? WHich is better to run in a drag racing set-up? Anyone have any suggestions on a much larger cam to buy? Any help would be appreciated thanks
The Kid
to sugest a beter cam well need more info on your combo, (motor, trans,converter, rear gear, tire size, ect,ect. if your going to run on the street and track or just track. cylinder heads are goinig to be a big factor also.

·
Registered
398 Posts
If you are going to drag race exclusively then go with the solid roller. Call comp cams and give them your engine package and they will recommend a cam and they are usually right on.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
If you are going to drag race exclusively then go with the solid roller. Call comp cams and give them your engine package and they will recommend a cam and they are usually right on.
comp told me to go with a much smaller cam than joe sherman set me up with. it's hit and miss with those guys.

and a solid roller is easy. i checked lash after a year of using the car and maybe 3 of the rockers were off by a little. use a stud girdle and your valves aren't going anywhere. make sure your heads have screw in studs though.

·
Registered
508 Posts
comp told me to go with a much smaller cam than joe sherman set me up with. It's hit and miss with those guys.

And a solid roller is easy. I checked lash after a year of using the car and maybe 3 of the rockers were off by a little. Use a stud girdle and your valves aren't going anywhere. Make sure your heads have screw in studs though.
x2... I adjusted my valves with my solid roller when i put my motor back in the car last october, havent touched them since.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I'd listen to Joe Sherman before any tech guy at Comp. Joe has forgotten more stuff related to small blocks than any of us will remember. He also has Comp grind cams for him per his specs too. He used to use Isky for years but has switched to Comp.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
x2... I adjusted my valves with my solid roller when i put my motor back in the car last october, havent touched them since.
josh my buddy joes nova I set the lash on the valves 5 years ago when I put the 1.6's on and checked them before the last grudgefest. maybe 4 of them needed adjustment.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Call comp cams and give them your engine package and they will recommend a cam and they are usually right on.
Call 10 times--that way you will have 10 completely different recommendations from the same company. They have a couple sharp guys there, but good luck finding the right one.

What cam number do you have? Those numbers don't look like anything I've seen from Comp.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
If you download Comps Cam Quest program for free, you'll have the same info that their "tech" guys use to tell you a cam to buy. If you want a real recomendation, call Sherman, or call Harold from Lunati, and actual cam designer who will get you the right cam for your engine. Or get ahold of camgrinder on this site. If all you want is a little more lift, just buy a higher duration rocker arm set.

·
Registered
508 Posts
josh my buddy joes nova I set the lash on the valves 5 years ago when I put the 1.6's on and checked them before the last grudgefest. maybe 4 of them needed adjustment.
yah alot of people think you need to adjust them ever so often but if its done right you shouldnt have to worry about them. espesally if you run girdles!!

·
Registered
508 Posts
If you download Comps Cam Quest program for free, you'll have the same info that their "tech" guys use to tell you a cam to buy. If you want a real recomendation, call Sherman, or call Harold from Lunati, and actual cam designer who will get you the right cam for your engine. Or get ahold of camgrinder on this site. If all you want is a little more lift, just buy a higher duration rocker arm set.

with a 1.6 rocker your lift would be 540 IN 560 EX on the same cam!!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
yah alot of people think you need to adjust them ever so often but if its done right you shouldnt have to worry about them. espesally if you run girdles!!
The only thing you need to be care full of is not assuming that you never have to check them. You may not need to adjust them, but if you don't ever check them, you are asking for trouble. I use T&D shaft rockers, and they are always spot on, but checking them often can reveal if there are potential issues.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
The only thing you need to be care full of is not assuming that you never have to check them. You may not need to adjust them, but if you don't ever check them, you are asking for trouble. I use T&D shaft rockers, and they are always spot on, but checking them often can reveal if there are potential issues.
we're not saying we never check them. We're saying we don't go and check and adjust every day. During a race weekend thats a different story. Checking lash can reveal potential lifter/pushrod/rocker problems before they become catastrophic.

I think alot of people thing they need frequent adjustment by the noise the valvetrain generates with aluminum rockers, heads and .026" lash. Many people don't like the noise while others it doesn't bother them. Having shaft mounted rockers does take alot of that away though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts