Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any benefit to a cam with non agressive lobes. My old cam has a long advertized duration(292) and only [email protected] The lift is .449. Should I hold on to it for a future project, or just throw it out or give it away. It doesn t have alot of miles on it, but for $100 would I be better of getting one of the newer, fast ramp designs.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Mike G.

I would have to agree with Mike, that thing is an antique.
BTW, Hey Mike, I just found the cam card for my 414 motor-I guess I'd forgotten the specs. Anyway, I plugged the numbers into my ancient Desktop Dyno and it came up with 644 h.p. which is right what we found on the real dyno(641) I started playing with advancing and retarding the cam and saw some interesting numbers. By retarding the cam(card wants it at 102)10 deg. I get 701 h.p. By spreading the centerline 2 degrees it peaks at 707 h.p.
What do you think? Is it just the programming in the software, or the goofy cam they made for me? Cam specs:
INT. opens 38/ close 62-EX. close 30/opens 78--lobe seperation 108--
install cam at 102. 280in/288ex [email protected] .730/.682 Lift.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have a new cam(xe274 solid). My question is about keeping the old cam for future use in a daily driver or a cruiser. It idled nice, and had a nice sound to it, but are the 70's lobe design good for anything. All everyone seems to talk about is fast ramps. Does that mean slow ramps are obsolete

1 - 4 of 4 Posts