Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seems to be a pretty common topic here,fired my motor, took a couple of seconds to fire,ran it up for 20 minutes,blah blah,gibbs oil,additive,single springs,took all the precautions i could,BUT i ran it for a few minutes last night and heard a couple of pops out of drivers side..i did discover that i had burnt a plug wire and it was shorting,didn't have time to change it had to leave town,so i'm not to hopeful that's going to be the problem,,so whats the procedure to check (confirm) that the cam is smoked...thanks...last flat tappet cam i'll ever own,summer is finally here and car will be sitting if it's the cam,out of time money patience...arrrgh

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Take valve covers off and bump it over a couple times to see if all rockers are moving. Thats how I discovered mine last month. That and my sudden loss of oil pressure and the silver oil I dranied from the pan. Hopefully you'll get lucky and it does turn out to be the wire. Best of luck to you.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Change the plug wire(s) before you condemn the cam. Loosen the outside rocker cover bolts and remove the inside bolts. Lift the manifold side of the rocker cover and look at the pushrods with a flashlight. Are any not spinning?
If not, you have a problem with that lifter.
Hydraulic lifters only have about .050" of adjustment. If the cam goes flat the push rods and rockers may be out of adjustment or down right loose.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Check the other things above. I bet its just that plug wire. Most people that go to extreme with the right oil plus additives and single springs etc etc dont end up having problems. It is the people that skimp that have issues.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
iv'e got my fingers crossed,i'll check it out when i get home this weekend...thanks guys

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
It would be interesting to know what people are using for assembly lube and break in oil with so many cam issues as of late....
I've always used Moly paste, trans fluid and Gibbs break in oil and never have had an issue with a cam failure..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts