Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just pulled the front of my 350 apart and was trying to id the cam. No numbers at all. Is this stock, custon grind, summit brand? Can a machine shop inspect the lobes to get an idea of what this can is? I'd like to know so I can figure out how much bigger to go on the new cam.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
The Isky cam I have is marked on the rear of the shaft...Dammit, I lost the munber and specs.:mad: Guess I won't find out till I kick it up a notch, but that will be quite awhile.:mad:

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Ya a lot of cams, possibly all of them(?), are marked on the back end of the cam you would have to pull the cam to check;)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thats a guess wfo, using a dial indicator, idle, vacuum, and lack of top end. It might not even be as big as i got listed. Mabee I'l pull it out when the baby takes a nap.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
A tool is available to check the profile of a cam. Some better engine shops have them. If all else fails you might check and see if someone in your area has one that they can profile yours. Most better engine shops grind the numbers off cams when they build a motor so people can't just go buy what they are using in their combos. They just tell you what to set the lash at and that's it. Circle track guys have been that way for years but now alot of the drag motor engine builders are doing it. My buddy bought a new 557 from PAR and there are no numbers on the cam. Scott wouldn't tell him what is was either. RM

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got done yankin the cam. The stamp was on the back, and my guess was right on the money, just 2 degrees off and .001 off on the lift. i measured the lifter rise and came up with .300(.450) , and the book says .449. I wish I could pick lottery numbers like that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts