Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I can say is holy crap!!! This is a different car. It not only sounds just pissed off it seems to haul ***. I only made 2 passes around the block and it was dark. so I went easy. But GEEZZZZZZZ.:yes:

I'll most likely have to rejet it and I have a half azz tune. OH MY GOD!:yes:

The trans went up to 180* after running in the garage for about a half hour and the 2 trips around the block. So I got to keep an eye on that. (My 1st rebuild) But it all works.:turn:

I'll definitely have to remember the reverse valve body, I get all exited and shift into netural...Not good:no:

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
:salute:
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
I'll definitely have to remember the reverse valve body
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

great denny!:D

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Congrats.:salute:

Remember the shift pattern. That's good...:devil:
:poke::poke::rotfl::rotfl:

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
hey dennis congrates hope you got a good trans cooler and remember its .....
p
r
n <---------- reverse shift pattern
:yes:

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick update. I forgot I swapped the engine oil temp and the trans temp gauges in the bracket. So the 180* was the oil temp. :eek::rolleyes:

I went for a little cruise today and the trans only got to 165 and that was just putting around and a couple of small take offs with the trans brake. Now

I need a new dip stick for the trans cause mine is junk and leaks.:mad:

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The heads are new to me, they are an iron 290 cast rectangular port closed chamber, I had 2.25" Manley SS intakes put in them and Manley SS exhaust valves. I swapped out a iron 291 cast oval port closed chamber head.

The cam was an Isky .520/.520 lift with [email protected] on a 108 center solid flat tappit. Replaced with a Comp Cams solid roller .660/.666 with .254/[email protected] on a 106 center.

Trans was a stock TH400 with a Transgo 1-2, and a tight B&M 3500 stall converter. Replaced with another TH400 with Alto reds and Koline steels and a Redneck trans brake and their 4500 9.5" converter.

I am still going easy with everything and so far so good. I did the trans myself and it's my 1st auto.

Once I get a few more miles on it I'll give it what for, and see if it brakes. I did a couple of mild 3000 take offs nothing harsh, but the trans brake is cool. I can't wait to start thrashing on it.

But 1st i need a new trans dip stick. I was looking at the Lokar...But $60-80 is painfull.:yes:

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you can fit a regular tube type dipstick, i'd do that. Lokar's are a PIA to put fluid thru. They give you a piece of hose and an aluminum adapter for it but the hole is pretty small. JMO
Thanks, I noticed that. I will try and get a stock one. That is what I had before and somehow it got all jacked up.:eek:

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
The heads are new to me, they are an iron 290 cast rectangular port closed chamber, I had 2.25" Manley SS intakes put in them and Manley SS exhaust valves. I swapped out a iron 291 cast oval port closed chamber head.

The cam was an Isky .520/.520 lift with [email protected] on a 108 center solid flat tappit. Replaced with a Comp Cams solid roller .660/.666 with .254/[email protected] on a 106 center.

Trans was a stock TH400 with a Transgo 1-2, and a tight B&M 3500 stall converter. Replaced with another TH400 with Alto reds and Koline steels and a Redneck trans brake and their 4500 9.5" converter.

I am still going easy with everything and so far so good. I did the trans myself and it's my 1st auto.

Once I get a few more miles on it I'll give it what for, and see if it brakes. I did a couple of mild 3000 take offs nothing harsh, but the trans brake is cool. I can't wait to start thrashing on it.

But 1st i need a new trans dip stick. I was looking at the Lokar...But $60-80 is painfull.:yes:
nice. but wait. I thought the 290 head was oval port only and the 291 was the rectangular port version of the 290. was it converted? how about the port work on it? I ask because I use a 290 head as well(ovals)

how is the lower rpm range with the much bigger cam?

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nice. but wait. I thought the 290 head was oval port only and the 291 was the rectangular port version of the 290. was it converted? how about the port work on it? I ask because I use a 290 head as well(ovals)

how is the lower rpm range with the much bigger cam?
My bad...It's been a long day. 290-291 whatever it takes. LOL

No port work as of now, next time the heads come off and I have some $$$ I will have some mild work done.

Cam seems fine. It's not as crisp with the bigger everything, but it sure seems much more better:yes:in the mid to upper range, and it sounds like it's all pissed off (that what my son and his friends say). :yes:

So far I like it...:devil:

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Look in your summit catalog at the Hughes dipstick. It is a locking dipstick and has a rubber piece that goes in the tranny then the dipstick housing slides into it. I purchased on of these last year and it works great and has never leaked. Just remember to "Think With Your Dipstick Denny"!!!!!!!!:devil:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts