Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 400 small block chevy in my nova. my lifters went on me so i decided i want to get a comp cam and lifter kit. supposedly the motor now has 510 lunati cam. i have a t-10 4 speed trans and plan on putting on a set of patriot heads, rpm air gap manifold and a holley 650 double pumper before i put my cam. my question is what would be the best cam i should put in.. i plan on racing at the strip..so i want a cam that would have good low end a torque and good top end power

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I suggest that you call Bullet Cams and tell them exactly what you have and or are going to change to. If you are honest with them, they will build you a camshaft that will really scream.
http://www.bulletcams.com/

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
if it wuz me

i think with a 400 and a 4 speed , i'd tilt the performance toward the midrange and top end and use a single plane intake. I think i'd look at a proform mainbody replacement for the 650 also to help with the greater air flow demands of a 400 cube SBC.

You didn't mention what gear or what year nova to consider weight issues and rpm expectations, just that you want a very broad performing engine. Usually you have to give up one to gain the other but with a 400, you'll prolly have decent/acceptable lower rpm manners until the cam specs get really big.

Tell us more about your combination.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Contact member CAMGRINDER on here, he can set you up with what you would need! I am running one of his cams, all I can say is he nailed it with my combo!:yes: Pm him and he will take care of you.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
i have a 400 small block chevy in my nova. my lifters went on me so i decided i want to get a comp cam and lifter kit. supposedly the motor now has 510 lunati cam. i have a t-10 4 speed trans and plan on putting on a set of patriot heads, rpm air gap manifold and a holley 650 double pumper before i put my cam. my question is what would be the best cam i should put in.. i plan on racing at the strip..so i want a cam that would have good low end a torque and good top end power

I'd stay away from the Patriot heads.:yes: Bad experience with a very CHEAPLY made product there!! For the same money look at the ProFiler heads!!:yes: 100% American Made!!!

As for the cam, I would recommend calling Harold Brookshire. He's the man who designed the Voodoo series of lobes for Lunati along with 90% of the Bullet grinds (that are mostly Harold's 20+ yr old Ultradyne lobes). 662-562-4933

He's been a little busy lately designing another line of Voodoo's along with a FEW pro stock cams.:devil:

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I'd stay away from the Patriot heads.:yes: Bad experience with a very CHEAPLY made product there!! For the same money look at the ProFiler heads!!:yes: 100% American Made!!!

As for the cam, I would recommend calling Harold Brookshire. He's the man who designed the Voodoo series of lobes for Lunati along with 90% of the Bullet grinds (that are mostly Harold's 20+ yr old Ultradyne lobes). 662-562-4933

He's been a little busy lately designing another line of Voodoo's along with a FEW pro stock cams.:devil:
I agree with "D" ^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
X3 for D-man suggestion on calling Harold. Also, with a 400 that you're going to race, you'll want atleast a 750carb, if not an 850. With good aftermarket heads, you'll be trying to move alot of air. Also go with a Victor Jr. intake. You're going to be running enough gear and convertor (I assume) for maximum performance, so you don't need the bottom end torque from the dual plane.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
my lifters went on me
Uh, what exactly does that mean? Were they hydraulic lifters? Rollers? Flat tappet? I've had some bearings go away on rollers, but there's not much to hurt on a flat tappet type lifter.

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
X3 for D-man suggestion on calling Harold. Also, with a 400 that you're going to race, you'll want atleast a 750carb, if not an 850. With good aftermarket heads, you'll be trying to move alot of air. Also go with a Victor Jr. intake. You're going to be running enough gear and convertor (I assume) for maximum performance, so you don't need the bottom end torque from the dual plane.
DITTO this is sound advice

are you 10% strip 90% street or the other way around...

your wanting the best of both worlds.. it sounds like a street car.... a strip car generally has a narrow power band and the whole car is designed around a given RPM range.. hence converter, gearing, cam, intake, carb....are of the utmost importance when putting parts together.. they all must be cohesive to the power band or ET your seeking...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

im buying these heads off a friend who had them on a 406 in a 79 malibu and ran mid 12's

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
im buying these heads off a friend who had them on a 406 in a 79 malibu and ran mid 12's
So they've already been run, obviously...Have them checked out professionally.:yes: They've had a lot of geometry issues and the valve stems and guides will take the brunt of it.

I'm not saying they're all bad, just that they've had a lot of bad ones out there. It's worth double checking.

Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
I didn't think Engle was in business any more.... WOW.. now all I need is some Jahns pistons, delco Morine 400 bearings and a Ed pink crank...

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
i think Engle is never mentioned on here much ,,

http://www.englecams.com/index.php
VERY OLD lobe designs.:yes: NONE of their lobes have any more than 34* of hydraulic intensity meaning I can get a solid flat tappet with more "Area Under the Curve" and even any of their rollers.

I'm not saying they won't work..:no: Just that there's a LOT better stuff out there these days.

Comparing their grinds to todays cams is like comparing the old school TRW forged pistons to todays JE/SRP, Probe's SRS, Mahle, or Wiseco's "ProTrue" shelf forgings.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
WOW.. now all I need is some Jahns pistons, delco Morine 400 bearings and a Ed pink crank...
Easy there big boy I have 1 of those Ed Pink cranks not to mention dimple rods, but I do have Arias pistons...:D

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
I use to dream of sending a crank out to "Chrome a crank".. for journal hardening...:D man.... a ed pink crank, with chrome journals..... what could be better....:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Why not support a fellow member instead of these other manufactures? Camgrinder is very knowledgeable and knows what he is doing! Support our fellow members!!:yes:

·
Registered
906 Posts
just ordered a cam from camgrinder for a alum. headed sbc,give him your specs.and he custom grinds a cam around your setup,price was as good as the major speed houses,should get it sometime next week
don

1 - 20 of 30 Posts