Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
My Caltracs have the shock in the stock location. In order to move the shocks inboard you would need to install a new cross member for the top shock mounts.

John.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I thought it didnt make a difference with the cal-tracs, they were direct bolt in and the bottom of the shock was relocated inward only.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Shocks can be mounted in the stock position with cal tracs no problem.

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
The rear bracket can be mounted in the stock location or mount it 180 degrees so the shock mounts are on the inside of the leaf springs.

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
That is what I would need in order for my tires to clear the lower portion of the shock absorber.
That won't work unless you fabricate a new cross member for the upper shock mount. If you tried moving the lower shock mount inside the leaf spring without relocating the upper shock mount, the shock will hit the frame.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
That won't work unless you fabricate a new cross member for the upper shock mount. If you tried moving the lower shock mount inside the leaf spring without relocating the upper shock mount, the shock will hit the frame.
Is there a weld in set-up for this already available to relocate the upper shock mount or do I have to make my own

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Competition engineering makes a kit along with a couple other companies.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Just found a kit that Year One sells, its a bolt in kit designed to move the rear shock over to allow for a 275 rear tire to clear and works with stock suspension the part number is a BG959 1968-1974 Nova models for $269
check it out and let me know what you guys think.

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Just found a kit that Year One sells, its a bolt in kit designed to move the rear shock over to allow for a 275 rear tire to clear and works with stock suspension the part number is a BG959 1968-1974 Nova models for $269
check it out and let me know what you guys think.

That kit would work, although I think I'd feel safer with a weld in kit. I guess it depend on if you can weld.

·
Registered
562 Posts
that is way high priced. i dont know what your fab skills are but you can buy a 1 5/8 piece of tubing, and a universal shock style mount and weld it to the sheetmetal frame rails for under 20.00. here is a link were you can buy brackets, or the whole upper shock mount.

if you mount the eye the other way, buy a piece of tubing and drill through it put a bolt through the tubing for the shock eye and weld the bolt to the tubing. you would have the same thing that year one is selling, also yo dont need the lower bracket because you get it with the caltracks.

if you just want to get a bolt in one, i would build it for you for . i would hate to see you shell out that much money for that kit

www.appliedracing.com

hope this helps

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I was planning on bolting it in and welding on top of it for added strength.The problem I have is I already purchased 2 lakewood rear drag shocks for my car to use and I'm not sure the shocks will work with the new upper shock crossmember, the shocks have the stock rod going through the top and the 2 bolts that bolt them in, I think the relocation kit has a different style upper shock set-up than the factory install. I could make my own, but I am real insecure with making my own stuff, I would rather purchase something that has been tested already " although I know the price is rediculous " if it fails for some reason or another the manufacturer of the product would be responsible, if I make it and it falls apart then I become the dummy:horse: and I plan on putting some serious ponies to rear wheels understand? but I do thank you for the offer of making me one and I appreciate the help, you should make your own relocation kit and market it, for the right price I am sure you will make fortune:thumbsup:

·
Registered
562 Posts
I was planning on bolting it in and welding on top of it for added strength.The problem I have is I already purchased 2 lakewood rear drag shocks for my car to use and I'm not sure the shocks will work with the new upper shock crossmember, the shocks have the stock rod going through the top and the 2 bolts that bolt them in, I think the relocation kit has a different style upper shock set-up than the factory install. I could make my own, but I am real insecure with making my own stuff, I would rather purchase something that has been tested already " although I know the price is rediculous " if it fails for some reason or another the manufacturer of the product would be responsible, if I make it and it falls apart then I become the dummy:horse: and I plan on putting some serious ponies to rear wheels understand? but I do thank you for the offer of making me one and I appreciate the help, you should make your own relocation kit and market it, for the right price I am sure you will make fortune:thumbsup:

im working on that as we speak. im in the process of getting more equipment to start my own online parts store

1 - 20 of 40 Posts