Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking the slapper bars off and replacing them with CalTracs. One of my springs is sagging pretty bad now and need to be replaced anyway. Anyone go with the -1" height springs and got any ride height pics? Don't wanna go too low but I want it lower than stock. Looks like they'll be $700 with shipping.

Is the kit with split mono's and the bars all I need or are there other misc. parts I need as well?

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
your car sits perfect!!!
if you search the split mono thread you can see a pic of mine.
i bought the -1's.
it was too high so i used one inch aluminum spacer blocks.
now it sits perfect for me.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Here is a picture of my car with the stock height Calvert split monos but with a 1" lowering block added. Should sit about the same with the 1" lowered springs.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is a picture of my car with the stock height Calvert split monos but with a 1" lowering block added. Should sit about the same with the 1" lowered springs.
I think my car sits like that now on the passenger side with the stock worn out springs...the driver's side is about 1-2 inches lower which looks cool from the side but crappy from behind.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ordered the Caltracs tonight and they should be here Wednesday. I hope to have them on Thursday evening so I can post some pics. I'm hoping they'll ride better than my slapper bars...and be quieter. Those things ride like crap and make all kinds of noise.

Thanks for the guidance everyone!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
You gonna need that car to hook to come close to me.Thats cool.I will still whoop your but with slapper bars and cheapo shocks.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think that's why Dale sold his CalTrac's!
If you leave the pre-load out they ride real nice, but with pre-load they stiffen up.
That's what I've heard too. And that they're easy to adjust from street to strip setup.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You gonna need that car to hook to come close to me.Thats cool.I will still whoop your but with slapper bars and cheapo shocks.
You talk a lot of crap for someone who's junk is blown up! After I embarass you in the show car you're getting drug by the wagon! How much cash are you putting behind your mouth? :D

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
You talk a lot of crap for someone who's junk is blown up! After I embarass you in the show car you're getting drug by the wagon! How much cash are you putting behind your mouth? :D
HaHa who's junk is blown up.Not mine.I will put that slow *** pretty show back on the trailer were it belongs boy.Oh and as far as how much $$ wut you think.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You tell me. We're putting together a race at either Twiggs or Commerce next month.

Just tell me what you wanna lose and that'll be fine with me.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay so here are a few thoughts about the CalTracs.

First of all the quality of everything they sent me is really great! Everything is very easy to put together and it's so simple you really don't even need instructions...which is good, because they didn't send any with mine.:rolleyes: They're going to send me a set along with some stickers. By the time they get here I'll be done. They're VERY helpful at customer service and they offered to walk me through the install on the phone step by step.

I did run into two unexpected problems. The springs have a spacer that goes between the springs and the perches...no biggie, except they want you to tack weld the seam between the spacer and the perches. No biggie really but not exactly bolt on in my opinion. The other problem is that the spring centers are farther forward (probably due to the -1" height vs. my stock springs) which means the driveshaft has to be shortened about 1 1/2".:rolleyes: Kinda ticks me off but it's not the end of the world I guess. I'll see if my driveshaft shop can shorten it tomorrow...hope they're slow right now!:D

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Okay so here are a few thoughts about the CalTracs.

First of all the quality of everything they sent me is really great! Everything is very easy to put together and it's so simple you really don't even need instructions...which is good, because they didn't send any with mine.:rolleyes: They're going to send me a set along with some stickers. By the time they get here I'll be done. They're VERY helpful at customer service and they offered to walk me through the install on the phone step by step.

I did run into two unexpected problems. The springs have a spacer that goes between the springs and the perches...no biggie, except they want you to tack weld the seam between the spacer and the perches. No biggie really but not exactly bolt on in my opinion. The other problem is that the spring centers are farther forward (probably due to the -1" height vs. my stock springs) which means the driveshaft has to be shortened about 1 1/2".:rolleyes: Kinda ticks me off but it's not the end of the world I guess. I'll see if my driveshaft shop can shorten it tomorrow...hope they're slow right now!:D
if you are going with -1 split monos- these should not affect your spring centers enough to have to shorten the driveshaft.
was one of your tires not centered in the wheel housings to begin with?
mine was off and when we put the -1 split monos on-it centered it right up.
were you replacing multileafs? if so, then you do need the 1/4 inch spacer.
if you dont have it i have an extra pair that im not using- you are welcome to have. otherwise, i also sweated having to weld it.
you dont really need to. but we did tack weld mine in.
we had to relocate the left shock inward on the caltrac shock mounting plate because of my 5.5 bs wheels.
let me know if you have any questions.
you wont be disappointed with traction if you have good tires! :D
ive got mt street radials and this thing hooks!
now, ive just got to worry about breaking parts!!! :eek:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts