Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just when I thought I was having a successful part installation day, I ran into a small problem when trying to install the new spring eye bushing.... Here's a shot of the rear torn down. Like all the jacks/stands? :rolleyes:

The inner bushing sleeve that Caltrac provided doesn't fit over the spring eye bolt I got. I don't think it's supposed to be an interference fit, right? Has anyone else bumped into this on a 66/67 Nova Caltrac install?

I either need to come up with a new set of spring eye bolts that are slightly smaller, take a bit of emery cloth to the spring eye bolts to decrease their OD slightly, have the sleeves drilled out slightly, or call Calvert. What would you do?

Thanks!

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
can ya mic the bolts Rex ??? i have mine out in the shop... brand new bolts like yer posting... want me ta mic mine ???

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JohnnyRotten said:
can ya mic the bolts Rex ??? i have mine out in the shop... brand new bolts like yer posting... want me ta mic mine ???
Don't have a mic. I need one. Maybe I should make a side trip. Not a bad idea..... I may have more info soon. :D

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I'd say there is probably just a burr on something. Try another bolt the same size as your leaf bolt and see if it fits. If it does then replace the bolts. If it doesnt then drill out the bushing. Not a big deal at all. I just machined a custom set of bushing the other day so I'm familiar with whats going on.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
JohnnyRotten said:
do ya have a Venerial Clapper ??? :eek:

a vernier caliper
I just measured the spring eye bolt. Its OD is .562.

The bushing insert from Calvert's ID is .559.

I'll call Calvert in the morning to see if they've come across this and see if they sell the correctly sized eye bolt. It's looking like I'll need to find another set of spring eye bolts. I hate to modify Calvert's parts.

I'm getting the impression the set of repro spring eye bolts I bought may not be the best quality parts out there. The cup washer came off when I was test fitting it and you already know the OD may not be up to spec. :mad:

Thanks for the opinions & info guys.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
According to my calcs, .562 or .563, is 9/16. Should I call Calvert and ask, or would you take a 9/16" drill bit and open up the sleeve a bit? Or maybe take it to the local machine shop and have then do it more accurately than I can.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Like all the jacks/stands?
That looks like my car when I had to go back under after my hospital stay and recovery time. Never use 4 drive-on ramps at the same time--car decided to roll off while I was down there!! It was starting to get a little dark under there until neighbor Bob finally found the floor jack. A few broken ribs and clavicle, and a blown out vein in my eye, followed by a herniated disc and the surgery............Should have seen me trying to put the trans back in the car from across the street!
BTW, I bought new bolts when we installed my Caltracs, and they slid right in place.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Jackstands are smart! I use to only use them sometimes until one day[without them] the jack started leaking while I was under.I started to feel pressure on my chest and got out quick [ripped my shirt]. I never..never go under anymore without jackstands.NOT EVEN FOR A SECOND!!!!!

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update -

I called Calvert this morning and they verified that the ID of their steel sleeve is supposed to be .562 or .563. It looks like I may have been sent the wrong inner sleeve, so they're dropping new ones in the mail for me.

Great guys! :D

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hey, does anyone happen to know what the bushing width should be of the aluminum bushing Calvert sends in their early Nova caltrac kit?

Since I got the wrong inner sleeves, I thought I'd better check that the bushings aren't wrong too. The ones I got measure 2 11/16" wide.

Thanks,

Brent

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Dale's comin' in a week ta do my perches... maybe i can shake some of this "mold" and get some stuff done soon.

good luck to ya Brent

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Got the new steel sleeves today. Still a not fit on the spring eye bolt. :(

I'm beginnin' to think the spring eye bolts are cheapo nonstandard. I think I may need to order a set of decent spring eye bolts from another Nova parts dealer. These were awfully cheap from a spring parts dealer.

Any of you early Nova guys have a recommendation for ordering a set of spring eye bolts that fit with the Caltracs? C2O wants $15/each. Classic wants $23. Which one will actually fit in the bushing sleeve from Caltrac?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts