Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a car from LA and the guy lost title. Car has no drivetrain. He took it to DMV yesterday and they told him they could not give him a current title/registration unless the car was road worthy?? Here is what he told me.

Dmv had me do a statement of facts,and an application for title or registration. and then told me unless I put engine and trans. back in and can show them it is a driving car and will be licensed in California. They consider it not on their books and that is that.So if someone here buys it and gets it going they can register no problem and that comes directly from DMV worker in Yuba City "Adam" he said he does not know what your state requires, but a bill of sale should suffice. I have an original DMV non-op statement from 1995 and it has all info. on car including VIN # lic. plate # and statement of non-op payment.

Your help is greatly appreciated!!!

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
Yup! That sounds about right.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
thats all you need is the bill of sale or current registration in you situation you have a ( non op ) which should work you need or he needs to fill out the backside of the title with his info and yours for change of title. if it where me the bill of sale would say ( gift ) that way you wont have to pay high taxes the dmv doesnt care if the car is running or not what " they dont know wont hurt them " :devil: and if they want proof take a picture of another car like yours and show them that :yes:

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
You may not want to say "gift" as that may trigger an assessed valuation. It might be best to say it was purchased for $100. It may not be an issue in your state, but it can be an issue in CA

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
oopps i read your post again i see he has no title in your situation i would go to your dmv and tell them that your friend gave you this car and cant find the title give them the vin# and current license number or tell the fellow to go to the dmv and have him ask for " loss of title " i believe all you need then is a " bill of sale '' if the car has been on non op for a while it may not be in the computer and youll be fine your dmv may want to see the car though

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
You may not want to say "gift" as that may trigger an assessed valuation. It might be best to say it was purchased for $100. It may not be an issue in your state, but it can be an issue in CA
this is true as well although i have never had a problem with using " gift " but you may want to try the $100 dollar route :yes:

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
this is true as well although i have never had a problem with using " gift " but you may want to try the $100 dollar route :yes:
I have had a problem with the gift route. It depends on the year of the car. The DMV here in Ca will charge you sales tax on the blue book value of the car if you say it was a gift.
I also tell them it was to a brother-in-law or another family member. This way you don't pay any tax or need a smog cert. unless it is due for one. The only fee you pay is for the transfer.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Purchased a car from LA and the guy lost title. Car has no drivetrain. He took it to DMV yesterday and they told him they could not give him a current title/registration unless the car was road worthy?? Here is what he told me.

Dmv had me do a statement of facts,and an application for title or registration. and then told me unless I put engine and trans. back in and can show them it is a driving car and will be licensed in California. They consider it not on their books and that is that.So if someone here buys it and gets it going they can register no problem and that comes directly from DMV worker in Yuba City "Adam" he said he does not know what your state requires, but a bill of sale should suffice. I have an original DMV non-op statement from 1995 and it has all info. on car including VIN # lic. plate # and statement of non-op payment.

Your help is greatly appreciated!!!
in my situation, i had the title but the car wasnt in the system, so i needed a police officer to verify my title & vin. then registration was set. can u have the guy apply for duplicate title...???? he should be able to do that , while the car is in his name & in Cali. so @ that point it should just be a regular sale non-op or not... hope this helps.. if he's the last owner i dont see why they wont let him get a duplicate title, w/o statin he's gonna sell it...

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg227.pdf

edit: just talk to a buddy of mines who bought a non-op car. the car had a current non-op & he told DMV he wanted to keep it non-op & do a title transfer.. & w/in a week he got the pink. so if the current owner can apply for a duplicate title, which he should be able to, tell dwv u wanna keep it non op & do a title transfer... the only difference here is my buddy's seller had the pink, but ur seller should be able to apply for a duplicate title & then do the transaction.... good luck man...

LIL JOHN

·
Registered
443 Posts
My 67 was non op since 1979 and was no longer in the system. I couldnt get a new pink until I got a vin verification. Tried that at DMV and the rude punk walked away saying the car wasnt complete and no other explanation. I called the local highway patrol office and set up an appointment and was talking to the officer on the phone about renting a trailer to bring it down and he came to my house and did it right there in the garage! Thank you CHP.

·
Registered
761 Posts
My 67 was non op since 1979 and was no longer in the system. I couldnt get a new pink until I got a vin verification. Tried that at DMV and the rude punk walked away saying the car wasnt complete and no other explanation. I called the local highway patrol office and set up an appointment and was talking to the officer on the phone about renting a trailer to bring it down and he came to my house and did it right there in the garage! Thank you CHP.
thats cool , If you are a auto club member they can do It also .,

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I had a similar experience with CHP, caught the guys with the pickups from the scales, at there coffee hangout, officer followed me @ five miles home and completed the verification forms at my house:yes:

·
Registered
443 Posts
I had a similar experience with CHP, caught the guys with the pickups from the scales, at there coffee hangout, officer followed me @ five miles home and completed the verification forms at my house:yes:

Now that was smart! Caught them at their happiest moment. Ya I dont know why I tried to go around the CHP. I will NEVER try to do anything like that at the DMV again. The highway patrol guys know what they are doing and seem more than willing to help if you ask.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
After I bought mine and was in the process of changing out the motor. I took all the paperwork to DMV to get it registered and they told me I had to bring the car in for verification since it was from out of state. I got paperwork from the DMV for verification and called the police dept. and they sent an officer to my house. He filled out the paperwork and verified everything was in order and signed it off. The next day I took everything back to DMV and got the new plates and tags with no problem.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Washington state is the same way, if they can't see the car out their window you don' get a title atleast in 92 it was that way

1 - 14 of 14 Posts