Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody completed there YOM process to the point of having registration stickers?I had my plates inspected and passed and paper work was sent to Sacramento.What happens next?Do we have to use the YOM sticker for our year on the plate or do we get current style year and month stickers?I have been researching this and there seams to be so many stories about what we have to do to display these on our cars.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
I'm still waiting for delivery of my plates...Did your plates have a sticker on them??...The one's I bought did..So as it is...You know more than I...:cool:

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
The only thing I can think of is that you'll have to wait for your new sticker to come in the mail..With your registration...

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I talked to someone who deals with old plates and he is saying that once DMV approves I will need the current month and years sticker as well as my YOM 67 sticker.DMV will supply a tab for one of the stickers,since our cars do not really have room for this I suspect I will just keep this in the glove box.I have been trying to put my old plates back on for a year now and would like to have them on by Mini-Nats in September.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Use your black plates

Have a little patience. The YOM program for 1963 California black plates started on July 1. The DMV issued a temporary permit to be displayed in the windshield or rear glass. On it, there should be information on what plates you had and what plates you registered (black plates). Remember that the workers at the DMV are furloughed on the first three Fridays of the month. You are dealing with a government agency that is not in a hurry to get "your" registration stickers out to you. The purpose of the updated YOM is to allow car/truck owners to display license plates that would have been issued when the vehicles were new/registered. The state also has a vested interest. They don't have to issue new plates and can charge a higher fee for vehicle registration. I believe that the person that gave you the information about using tabs to display the month and year sticker is referring to the 1956 series yellow plates. There isn't an area to display both the month and year sticker. The DMV issues the aluminum tabs that attach to the license plate mounting bolts/screws. The 1963 black plates have an area for both month and year stickers. There is only one reason for the correct year sticker, to get the plates registered. After that, you will only need the month and current year expiration sticker. As for using your black plates, why don't you put them on and use them? Why wait until you get your stickers? You have the temporary permit with both license plate numbers on it. If you want it to look right, use the red lettered month sticker, not the blue lettered month sticker. Stickers should be displayed month on the left, year on the right. I know you won't do it wrong, but I've seen it before.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
yes I bought the correct month sticker at the P-town swap meet for my plates that I had painted in black and yellow. In my avatar you see the stickers thats how they go. Just like the plates you have now when you pay the reg you get a new sticker. The month sticker never changes.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I'm still waiting for delivery of my plates...Did your plates have a sticker on them??...The one's I bought did..So as it is...You know more than I...:cool:
did you get new black plates?

does DMV require you to bring in 2 plates for inspection?

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
did you get new black plates?

does DMV require you to bring in 2 plates for inspection?
Yes I'll have two plates..And they are clear...The sticker is already on them...

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I hate to say it but putting black plates back on the car is about the only thing that excites me these days:yes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts