Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a pair of California Black License plates that are clear...I would like them to be year...1966 if possible...If anyone has any they'd like to sell..Please PM me......Thanks.........Randy

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
What starting letters are you looking for?

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
What starting letters are you looking for?
My son had a Dec. 1965 plate that started with a "N". So I say any letter from "N to "T" would work.

He will also need to go on E-bay and buy a 1966 tab sticker. Which will be yellow. DMV requires a sticker for the year of the car.

Bryan

·
Registered
535 Posts
My son had a Dec. 1965 plate that started with a "N". So I say any letter from "N to "T" would work.

He will also need to go on E-bay and buy a 1966 tab sticker. Which will be yellow. DMV requires a sticker for the year of the car.

Bryan
I wouldn't spend a fortune buying a original or a NOS year sticker. The DMV didn't check the serial number when I went to register my plates. I didn't have to apply the sticker to the plates either. In case they ask that you to apply the sticker to the plates, you won't have used a original sticker that will be covered up by a current year sticker. Of course, if you wanted to run a year sticker on your front plate, that would be your choice. Ebay sellers are asking big script for NOS or reclaimed original stickers. A seller has repop ones for $10.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I wouldn't spend a fortune buying a original or a NOS year sticker. The DMV didn't check the serial number when I went to register my plates. I didn't have to apply the sticker to the plates either. In case they ask that you to apply the sticker to the plates, you won't have used a original sticker that will be covered up by a current year sticker. Of course, if you wanted to run a year sticker on your front plate, that would be your choice. Ebay sellers are asking big script for NOS or reclaimed original stickers. A seller has repop ones for $10.
I agree my buddy just went to DMV on the 2nd of July to do a YOM black plate on his 67. DMV did ask to see the 67 year sticker. That was all they did. They did not verify the number on the sticker. Just buy the $10 repops. Like BZ65 stated above.

He was told the process will take around three (3) months to complete. DMV took his used black plates and the plates off the car. They send all of that stuff to Sac.

Bryan

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I agree my buddy just went to DMV on the 2nd of July to do a YOM black plate on his 67. DMV did ask to see the 67 year sticker. That was all they did. They did not verify the number on the sticker. Just buy the $10 repops. Like BZ65 stated above.

He was told the process will take around three (3) months to complete. DMV took his used black plates and the plates off the car. They send all of that stuff to Sac.

Bryan
A repop sticker may not work!

look at the numbers on the bottom of the sticker.........If it is a bunch of zero's like some of the repos have,they may catch on to it.Get the repops that have a series of numbers letters...they are cheap at around $10 or so...

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been told that the 66 first letter was. R, S, or T.....

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
A repop sticker may not work!

look at the numbers on the bottom of the sticker.........If it is a bunch of zero's like some of the repos have,they may catch on to it.Get the repops that have a series of numbers letters...they are cheap at around $10 or so...
I was pokin around ebay and couldn't find anything. Would you or anyone post a link? I have the original B/Y plates on my car now. But I want to get them redone, put a 69 sticker on 1 just for kicks(what would be the front not mounted on car) and the new rear.

Thanks,
Denis

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I was pokin around ebay and couldn't find anything. Would you or anyone post a link? I have the original B/Y plates on my car now. But I want to get them redone, put a 69 sticker on 1 just for kicks(what would be the front not mounted on car) and the new rear.

Thanks,
Denis
Here is a 69 sticker.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1969-California-license-plate-sticker-vg-cond-CA-decal_W0QQitemZ110411731167QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b50d50df&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1205|293:1|294:50

Bryan

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Check out www.licenseplates.tv before you try to restore your own plates. That place makes almost perfect repop plates. It is near impossible to tell the difference between them and the real deal.

Rroxon7 I'll get those pics to you asap.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Check out www.licenseplates.tv before you try to restore your own plates. That place makes almost perfect repop plates. It is near impossible to tell the difference between them and the real deal.

Looking forward to seeing them...You can send the photos to PM if you'd like..Thanks again....

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Looking at Aaron69nova's thread the site he shows for repop plates black and yellow plates only go to '68? So I'm confused.How did you get B/Y plates on a 69?My car still has original plates and they are Blue/yellow.Just curious am I missing something?:confused:
It could be your car was sold late late in 1969 or even a left over and sold in the first part of 1970. The BLUE w/ Yellow plates started about that time.
Also it depends on the DMV location. If the DMV is busy they will issue more plates. Therefore giving out BLUE plates early.

There is a member in this site. His 1967 Nova has BLACK plates that start with the letter "A". I saw his car. I asked him how did that happen. He said the car was sold in a small farming town were everyone had TRUCKS. So that small town DMV did not issue allot of plates for cars.

Bryan

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
It could be your car was sold late late in 1969 or even a left over and sold in the first part of 1970. The BLUE w/ Yellow plates started about that time.
Also it depends on the DMV location. If the DMV is busy they will issue more plates. Therefore giving out BLUE plates early.

There is a member in this site. His 1967 Nova has BLACK plates that start with the letter "A". I saw his car. I asked him how did that happen. He said the car was sold in a small farming town were everyone had TRUCKS. So that small town DMV did not issue allot of plates for cars.

Bryan

Agreed! My car is a 64 and starts with an "O". It is original! My 67 Camaro starts with a "W", but it was sold late.

Tim

·
Registered
3,973 Posts

They will not make you a plate unless you can prove the plate is registered to your car.

You have to fax them your current registration or previous registration with the original plate number.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts