Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, it's been about 2 years since my last post. Always had good responses to my questions, so I thought I'd try again. I relocated the rear shocks on my Nova, and unlike the factory that staggered the rear shocks to eliminate axle wrap, both my shocks are behind the rear axle. Because of this I'm getting a lot of wheel hop and axle wrap at hard acceleration. This isn't a drag car, but a street and road race car...are Cal-tracs a good option? Opinions? Suggestions? Thanks guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,535 Posts
If your looking to eliminate your wheel hop due to hard acceleration with a leaf spring equipped car, caltracs will certainly fix this issue. But if you set the caltracs up with any preload, you may experience a harsher/stiffer ride. There are also other types of traction aids that can eliminate wheel hop depending on your driving habits and goals (Slide-a-links, a good set of traction bars, HD leaf springs designed not to "axle wrap", Torque arm suspensions, etc).

I run Caltracs on my street/strip 74 Nova w/multi-leaf springs and staggered shocks (with no preload on the caltracs)... and I really like them. Some people comment about the noise associated with running caltracs on the street, but there are ways to reduce/eliminate this noise too.
Shown in the link below are a couple recommendations to quite Caltracs when set up with a gap between the spring and the roller for a better street ride (see posts #154 and #155).
Note: I found that the polyurethane leaf spring pad (post #154) will last longer than the heater hose (post #155)... but the heater hose method is cheap, readily available at nearly all auto parts stores, and very easy to install.

P.S.... Great looking Nova!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts