Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 66 Nova a few weeks ago and I only have the bill of sale. What's the easiest way to get a new title issued in California? I heard there are mobile title companies that will help with only 1 VIN check, while the DMV is a royal pain. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bryan

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
If it's been out of the system for several years, it might be off the books. If that happens, it's usually pretty quick-they just whip up a new one. But if it's for some other reason.....good luck.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was stored in a Barn in San Diego for 20+ years - no rust, but no title either.

Thanks,
Bryan

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Did you buy it from the registered owner? If so, they can apply for a lost title.

Randy (after 20 years, it should be out of the system though):)

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
I take all my DMV paperwork to a small local LA area server.
They're great! They should be able to help without a hassle.

If it still has both of it's original black CA plates...keep 'em on the car!

Try giving them a call:

TONY'S VEHICLE REGISTRATION SERVICE
3301 S. Peck Road
P.O. Box 664, Monrovia, CA 91017
(626) 447-2450, Fax (626) 447-9803

wayne

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
You will have to have the VIN verified by a peace officer. The DMV will issue a new title. I did this with a Nova I had about 10 years ago. It was out of the system, too.

At the time, the big downside was that they had to issue new plates. They wouldn't let me use the black plates because the car was out of the system. Times may be different now, though.

When in doubt, play dumb with the DMV.

Tim

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Good Point! DON'T let the original CA black plates go without a fight!
They mean a lot for value of the car.

I suggest you use Tony's. The DMV and AAA services will do their best
to transfer you out to new white plates.

It would help if you have an old CA registration form showing your VIN
and the black plates number...but doesn't sound like you do.

Worst case...try ordering new CA personalized plates with the same
letters/numbers as the CA black plates and then throw the new plates
in the trunk. I've always wondered if that would work.

wayne

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!

I don't have the black plates, matter of fact I don't have the bumpers. I appreciate all the advice, I'll give Tony's a call this week.

Later,
Bryan

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Just a suggestion. If you're interested at all in getting black plates...try this.

Go to the next Pomona/Fairplex Swap meet and check out the "License plate man" ,Bob Duedall, or give him a call at (707) 678-9409. He can set you up with a set of "clean/no DMV record" restored year-correct black plates. Then call Tony's to register your car and apply for new CA personalized plates with the same letters/numbers as your black plates. When they arrive toss the white plates in the trunk and mount the black ones.

Let me know if you try it and if it works out.

Bob Duedall (The License Plate Man)
815 N Lincoln St
Dixon, CA 95620
(707) 678-9409

wayne

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
waynew said:
Just a suggestion. If you're interested at all in getting black plates...try this.

Go to the next Pomona/Fairplex Swap meet and check out the "License plate man" ,Bob Duedall, or give him a call at (707) 678-9409. He can set you up with a set of "clean/no DMV record" restored year-correct black plates. Then call Tony's to register your car and apply for new CA personalized plates with the same letters/numbers as your black plates. When they arrive toss the white plates in the trunk and mount the black ones.

Let me know if you try it and if it works out.

Bob Duedall (The License Plate Man)
815 N Lincoln St
Dixon, CA 95620
(707) 678-9409

wayne
You can't get a personalized plate with three consecutive letters and numbers. the only way you can register plates other than new white ones are if it's year of manufacturer, or if you can prove the plates came with the car, ex: old registration.

I wish that you could do it that way, I'd have some on mine.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
I ran into Larry Fator of Quicksilver Pinstriping at Irwindale last night.
He restores/paints license plates amongst other very talented things.

According to Larry...he has painted more than one set of new white personalized plates with 3 consecutive letters/numbers in his shop.
He says the secret is to just not ask...just make submit the application.

My guess you'd have a better chance at Tony's than AAA or the DMV.
I'm hopin' someone has some success with this and lets me know.

btw...Larry's own plates on his Chevy Panel is "BAD 4T6". They're personalized plates with one letter off and painted black/gold.

wayne

·
14,586 Posts
new title

I am going through the same thing with my 69 Nova. This car has been a race care all of its life and has never been licensed except when it was new. The car is from Colorado and their records fall off after 15-20 years. I went to Calif. DMV to see what I needed to do and they said since I have no previous registrations etc, that I would need to have the vin verified by police and that I would need to post a bond in order to get a new title. You can get bonds through various insurance companies and it is based on a percentage of the cars worth. The insurance company I talked to said they could do it for about $100 as they rate the value low. They were street rodders with a 40 Ford. Also, the car must be complete and running for Ca. to issue a title. Just make a few calls to dmv etc and get all your info before you go to dmv. Hope this helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts