Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 72 is at chassis shop for cage, tubs, and 9" rear.
I've spent some money having my front bench seat restored/recovered a few years ago and would like to keep it. Other than personal preference just wondering what others thoughts are regarding having bench vs bucket seats with a roll cage.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
The bench seat is OK in a slower car. The only issue with the bench seat is safety. If you crash you have no side support from the seat plus the back will want to fold forward. I also think poly seats and factory buckets are a problem once you pass the certain speed. I now have aluminum seats in all my cars because of that.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
I also think poly seats and factory buckets are a problem once you pass the certain speed. I now have aluminum seats in all my cars because of that.
RM,
I've been thinking about this too. Have Summit poly's in mine. Very close to the 11.50's now and thinking it's time for a cage over the winter off months.
Have seen guys with 10 sec cars and poly's though.

·
Premium Member
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If your car is fast enough to need a cage,it also needs better seats.
Thanks guys.
Car will be cert to 8.50.
I'm pricing some kirkeys now.
That's a loss for me having the bench redone... Might be for sale soon! :D
I like the look of the bench with a cage but oh well. :(

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
RM,
I've been thinking about this too. Have Summit poly's in mine. Very close to the 11.50's now and thinking it's time for a cage over the winter off months.
Have seen guys with 10 sec cars and poly's though.
I had poly seats in the RM Nova and it was running low 10s. But it runs 9s now and I just bought an aluminum Kirkey for it. It sits lower and gives you more headroom plus offers side support to help keep you in the seat area.

·
Premium Member
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had poly seats in the RM Nova and it was running low 10s. But it runs 9s now and I just bought an aluminum Kirkey for it. It sits lower and gives you more headroom plus offers side support to help keep you in the seat area.
We just purchased two kirkey 41900
That's 18" seat
I read somewhere to get widest one and put in extra padding if needed.
Likely will get the covers later.
Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
We just purchased two kirkey 41900
That's 18" seat
I read somewhere to get widest one and put in extra padding if needed.
Likely will get the covers later.
Thanks again!
That's the same seat I just bought for my T/S Nova. I used the cheaper 17.5 wide seat in MS chassis Nova and a RAZ seat of the same design in the RM Nova. The 41900 is just a better built seat than either of the cheaper seats above with a welded tube edge where the cheaper one has a glued on door edge rubber which sucks long term. It comes loose. Then the cover gets cut at the corner.

·
Premium Member
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's the same seat I just bought for my T/S Nova. I used the cheaper 17.5 wide seat in MS chassis Nova and a RAZ seat of the same design in the RM Nova. The 41900 is just a better built seat than either of the cheaper seats above with a welded tube edge where the cheaper one has a glued on door edge rubber which sucks long term. It comes loose. Then the cover gets cut at the corner.
Thanks!
Good to know!
Need to get frames built now for them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts