Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'll be getting a cage in the next two weeks. i know a custom bent one will fit best but what's the consensus on the comp engineering kit?

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Not sure but have heard the Chassisworks kits fit quite well. They all take fitting, so you are almost as well off making one from scratch that fits much nicer. I'd recommend taking all your interior out...I've seen quite a few that have some nice little holes in the headliner, seats etc. from welding. Also cover your glass too if it's not removed.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
I have the 8pt Competition Engineering kit in my 74. Still requires a lot of cutting, grinding & trial fitting.

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'll have to check out chassisworks...my only problem is that few shops around here even deal with drag cars and even fewer will bend the pipe and let me install it myself. i'll at least be going with a preformed hoop, depending on tubing prices. what are the rules on mounting plates, mounting points, etc.?

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
There are several brands of kits available and if this is not something you do often I'd suggest you buy one of them. I like chassis works, they fit and come with directions and will be legal size tubing which you need to have plus they can offer tech help if you need it. Other kits may be fine as well but I have limited experiences with them. Having someone bend you some tubing is no guarentee it is the proper size to be legal and legal = safe. Drag specs are different than round car specs so round car builders can't offer you the right sizes of tubing usually. Buy a kit and avoid the problems is my suggestion. RM

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Real McCoy said:
. I like chassis works, they fit and come with directions and will be legal size tubing which you need to have plus they can offer tech help if you need it.
i don't know if i would trust their tech help :)

Get a rule book for which ever sactioning body you are racing with.

if you buy a cage, ask what is it for......62-65, 66-67,... small, med, large.....

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Amos, my cage fit good, but like I said, there's a lot of trips in/out of the car to grind the pieces for a good fit. The kit comes with six 6"x6" 1/8" thick plates that your form to the floor pans and then are welded in place. The main hoops welds to two of the plates, the door bars weld to two of the plates, and the trunk supports weld to the last two plates.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Years ago I put an Alston's Chassis Works cage conversion in my 72 Vega, it fit well. But as WFO says " lots of trimming/fitting", but overall fit was excellent.

Denis

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
i just finished installing my cage from chassisworks. great fit. i looked at mc coy's site alot when i did it for a referance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts