Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the DMV today to register my California black base license plates. Here is a list of documents and items to take with you to get the plates assigned to your vehicle. 1) current plates, 2) black plates-pair, 3) current registration, 4) DMV form 352- Year of Manufacture License Plate Application, 5) registration sticker matching year of vehicle that plates will be assigned to. My sticker was not affixed to the plates, but they did ask to see it, I assume to verify that the configuration of letters/numbers match year model. They probably don't know what sequence of letters "matches" what year of vehicle. I told them that I didn't want to apply the year sticker, only to have it covered up by the new registration sticker. When asked how I got the sticker, I told him that I got it with the plates. They did not ask for a month sticker. I don't know if the clerk made an error on the fees. I was charged $12, plate Reassignment fee, for the whole transaction. I thought that the fee of $45 would be charged for Original Assignment. I'll find out soon. If you have a personalized plate that you want to retain, there will be a fee of $20 to retain ownership of them. You can submit one plate if you do not want to retain ownership of the plate, "lost the other one." Good luck.

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Thanks for the info,I will be going to DMV to have my original plates re issued to my car on Monday

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
So I need a 1966 or a 1967 sticker for my plates for my 1966 car? I'm glad I didn't go yet, that'd have been annoying.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Registration sticker

I believe that you need a registration sticker that corresponds to the year model that you are trying to assign the plates to, rather the year that the registration lists your vehicle. I had a 1967 Chevy truck that was marked as a 1966 on the pink slip. A reply to Nova 404, If you have any old registration documents with both your VIN and old license number on it, that may serve as proof that the plates are of that vintage.

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
I have my original pink slip with the plate number.I tried to have them reassigned to my car last year and they said NO.But they did say i could try again this July when the YOM program changes.I will keep my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I just got back from the DMV.

I reissued my dad’s plates on to my car!

This made my dads eyes water this morning in a big way!

We had to lay his car to rest 8 years ago.
It was a daily driver for its entire life…Took me home when I was born..Been to my entire childhood of Boating,Camping trips,Yellowstone,Yosemite and many air shows….

It has never been to church and never spent a single night in the garage.

Although my car is not the same car it’s very close. My dad gave me this car at the age of 9 years old.

Re-issuing plates onto my car along with registration…...$134.00
Hearing my dad cry over the phone when I told him…….PRICELESS!!!!

Dads car....

My Car......

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1963 tribute to Pops

John, the car looks great. I'm sure that your Dad is happy with it. Hell, I'm happy with it. I bet that the old car didn't have a wood wheel, AM/FM,A/C, and a four speed, not to mention a V-8. Aren't you glad that you kept the plates? Might have to slip in a small block with the displacement to match the plates. Classic colors, black with red interior, white top sets it off Hope to see it at the mini-nats. Nice job, very well done. Barry

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Do you have to turn in the current plates on the car? Do they give a temp tag? or can you put the black plates on right away?

I've got a pair, but have'nt attempted to issue them yet

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I turned in one plate so that I wouldn't have to pay an annual retention fee of $20 for personalized plates. You can keep your old plates, tell them that you want to retain your plates. They will have a form for you to fill out. They will ask for a registration sticker corresponding to the year of the vehicle to which you will assign the plates. They didn't ask to apply the sticker or check the number, but be prepared to do so, each office has different employees with different information. DMV issued a 90 day temporary permit. New plate number is on the permit as well as the plate number that you just relinquished. Use your black plates with the permit on windshield or rear window. Permit has suitable mounting location instruction. Don't give them your black plates to send to Sacramento, you may never see them again. Clerk should be able to verify suitability of the plates. There is a part of the bottom of the form for them to fill out. If they want to take your black plates, try another office. Never give them anything, especially those black plates.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
John, the car looks great. I'm sure that your Dad is happy with it. Hell, I'm happy with it. I bet that the old car didn't have a wood wheel, AM/FM,A/C, and a four speed, not to mention a V-8. Aren't you glad that you kept the plates? Might have to slip in a small block with the displacement to match the plates. Classic colors, black with red interior, white top sets it off Hope to see it at the mini-nats. Nice job, very well done. Barry
Barry it will be nice to see you!

Are you bringing your car with th AM/FM radio?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
John, I don't think that the car will make it this year. I'll be there. I'm hoping to get the car there next year. See you there, Barry.

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Went to DMV today to have my Black plates reissued to my car.They did not ask for my current registration.They charged me $12 and inspected my plates and commented how nice they were :devil: ,said all looked to be in order.They then submitted the paper work to Sacramento for final approval.There seems to be a lot of confusion currently about what is done.They tried to take my old reflective plates and send me on my way with no stickers,no temporary red window sticker.I asked if I could keep the old plates until all was finalized and they said it was no problem.I am not sure what is 'Approved" by the people in Sacramento is but I think I am done,only time will tell for sure.

·
Registered
520 Posts
My car has the original black plates in my name but have not been registered since 82. I hope they will just let me update my registration w/o having to go thru any big mess or fee's. They just stopped sending me the paperwork since I hadn't registered it after I stopped driving it in 82. I am not even sure if it is still in their system now.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Man Im gonna have to get on the ball and get my duplicate plate made so I have a pair. I'm sure they won't let me reissue with just one. Even though the car is in Arizona and probably will never see Ca streets again, I still want to put the original plates back on the car.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
wagonman thats awesome!!! I wanted to restore my dad's 63 wagon as a tribute to him but alas I had to sell it back in '04. I broke my heart to have to tell him "hey dad sorry but I have to sell the wagon" and I'm sure he felt bad too. I wanted to give something back to him before he passes on, even though he can't drive anymore I bet he would have loved just being able to look at it in the garage or the driveway and I could take him for a ride. That wagon had the original plates on it and was currently reged. :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts