Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 76 nova 305 2BL Carb.
The vacuum is hooked up wrong, theres no catallic converter or smog pump or evap cansiter. I know she wont pass so im not even guna waste my money and try...but i have 30 days to figure this out and have no clue. cant find any info on my vacuum or very many parts. kinda feeling like I skrewed up trading my Mercedes for this but i had my reasons. any help or info on this would be great im at a complete loss if i cant get her smoged and road legal:bored:

Also im ne to this thread and im not sure if this is the right forum sorry ahead of time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool thanks very much ima blow it up and print it out and follow it ill let you know whats going on. and i posted to the member intro too :)

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
Welcome to the site. You have come to the right place. :D

If you can make it, come up to the West Coast Mini-Nats show at the Hilton in Pleasanton this weekend.

There will be several other 75-79 owners/cars there that may be able to give you some advice.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that would be awesome ill try and get her ready for that ride by than itd be sweet to see some rides like mine!

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
that would be awesome ill try and get her ready for that ride by than itd be sweet to see some rides like mine!
You should come up to the show even if you can't bring your car.
You can also post questions in the 4th gen section of this forum.
The 75-79 cars are referred to as 4th generation on this site.

·
Registered
809 Posts
The majority of your smog crap is missing so how exactly are you going to get this car to pass smog?If your asking for help in getting a bogus smog check I only hope the person that is dumb enough to help you gets caught and looses their smog license.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The majority of your smog crap is missing so how exactly are you going to get this car to pass smog?If your asking for help in getting a bogus smog check I only hope the person that is dumb enough to help you gets caught and looses their smog license.
No I'm not looking for a bogus smog check, what i was hoping for was folks who have knowledge of these cars would be kind enough to refer me to websites where i can get my smog crap. Or diagrams would be nice like some kind people have :D.

Please don't put me on blast if I was looking for something illegal the last place i wold look is online.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I printed out the diagrams and am guna start getting it together following it. I found the evap can, how do I tell if its busted? or is there a filter inside and its just a can? and do I need a smog pump? I heard it depends where it was originally sold whether or not it came with one factory.

heres my greasy engine

any one see anything wrong? I'm new to these cars.
it runs good, the idle is real high until it warms up, than i pump the gas real fast and she idles down to normal.
the breaks are a lil squishy but i gotta bleed them and check for air bubbles. Is there a way to check the master cylinder? with my mercedes its all off vacuum and i used a pump gauge to check that.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Geez Jeff, give the guy the benefit of the doubt:D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is a CA emissions routing, other was high altitude.

it doesnt seem like either of these diagrams are for my engine... for one my evap can has 2 hose connections. whered did you find these maybe i can find one similar. i dunno but even the high altitude has to many hoses it doesnt seem like it goes with my engine either..

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
Your evap canister should be on the left side of the core support inside the engine compartment right next to the radiator.
All the evaps that I have seen have more than 2 connections.
I have one off of a 73-74 Nova that I can take a picture of if it will help.
I spoke to a site member (Phillip) at the show about your car. PM him and he will probably be able to help. He is a lot more knowledgeable about the 4th gens than I am.

The motto of this site is Nova People Helping Nova People and I think you will find that to be true in most cases. :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
this is the right diagram

you you need a canister with 3 outlets
i have a 78 and live in cali actually like 30 mins from you (salinas)
your gona need

tvs
i think two of these one on the water outlet one on the intake

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Ported-Vacuum-Switch/1978-Chevrolet-Nova/_/N-imvmeZ93xpw?itemIdentifier=3059_20571_2892_

egr
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-EGR-Valve/1978-Chevrolet-Nova/_/N-imvmeZ93xpy?itemIdentifier=182451_0_0_1277%2C1382

smog pump aka air pump
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Cardone-Reman-Smog-Pump/1978-Chevrolet-Nova/_/N-imvmeZ9gslm?itemIdentifier=108027_0_0_

and the pulley for it ( stupid that it doesnt come with it )
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...f0?filterByKeyWord=air+pump&fromString=search

theres a efe power actuator system thing i have no clue where to buy one but looks like this

a diverter valve (it connects to back of the smog pump)
this is not the exact one for the nova but looks identical to this

i think thats it and i have a hole thats on my passenger exhaust manifold kinda of like a turbo exhaust would have to hook it up but does not connect to anything so i dont know and then on the drivers side i think its another efe rod system thing

i think best hope is find a 76 up car at the pick n pull in moss landing and find a GM vehicle with the smog equipment you need

anyways good luck and congrats on the nova !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts