Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have been seeing alot of black plate for sale in my local area. I would love to have a set on my 63. I have heard that you can buy and reuse these on a different car. Anyone know the process and cost?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Check the DMV's website. All the info is on there. You can start registering cars with black plates on July 1. Do a search on here, it's been talked about before.

Tim

·
Registered
459 Posts
California Black Plates rock! Neat to have.I have the Original California Black Plates that came on my Chase Chevrolet 1968 Chevy II Nova SS L78 396 410 4 speed Nova,VND 268.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
You need to call and make sure they're clear. Yes, that means waiting on the phone forever to find out if what you got is ok.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Check the DMV's website. All the info is on there. You can start registering cars with black plates on July 1. Do a search on here, it's been talked about before.

Tim
1963 to 1969 for cars, commercial(el caminos, blazers and trucks) to 1972(blue and yellow):yes:

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
My old 62 wagon had black and yellow ones.
those could have been black numbers on a yellow background. 1963 most cars changed over to the 'new' ones. the yellow ones were good from 56-62, and before that i really don't know.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I believe that it's possible for the 1962 vehicles to have yellow or black (base) plates. If the vehicle was sold in 1962, the DMV would probably issue the yellow (base) 1956 series plates. If the vehicle was sold or registered in 1963 to 1969, possibly 1970, then they would be issued black (base) 1963 series plates. Regardless of the vehicle being a 1962 model. Vehicles not sold in California may have a license plate with a sequence that doesn't "match" the other vehicles of the same vintage. Early plate may have AAA 123. That is because they may have been brought in to the state and registered at a later date, with later model vehicles. It has been a rumor that the plates issued in 1963 have an apostrophe preceeding 63. The later plates issued did not have the apostrophe. This next part is on the black plates, which later changed to blue(base) plates, around 1970. As for the commercial plates, also known as truck plates, there was a change in how they were put in sequence. Earlier commercial plates started with a letter followed by five numbers, i.e. A 12 345. I believe that the letter A was the starting point or the earliest plates. Around 1967, the sequence changed on the truck plates i.e. 12 345 A. "A" being the beginning of the series. In late 1968 or early 1969, black plates no longer had the 63 stamped in the upper right hand corner, where the year registration sticker would be affixed. In late 1969 or early 1970, the last of the black plates were stamped from aluminum, no longer steel. By late 1970, the blue plates were being issued with another change in sequence. Three numbers followed by three letters i.e. 123 ABC. Again "A" being the beginning of the sequence. Around 1972, there was a change to seven spaces on the plates. Autos would have, as an example 1ABC234, commercial vehicles would have a sequence like 1A23456. First number in the sequence being the starting point. In 1972 personalized or vanity plates were first offered. In a blue based plate. AAA 001 through LZZ 999 would appear to be from 63 to late 64 autos. I have seen 65's with M's and N's. 66's with R,S,T's. 67's U and V's. 68's W and X's. 69's Y and Z's. I think most or all of the Y's and Z's don't have the 63 stamped on them. There are exceptions to this. My car didn't come with black plates, so I'm going to try and register a pair of black plates in July. If you have read this far, don't hold me to this, corrections are welcomed. I am not an expert on this subject, it is just through my observation that I have taken note of the black plates. I guess that is what happens when you are trying to get some black plates on your car. Members with CA black plates, post your first letter(s) and the year of your car so that others wanting to register their cars with black plates can find "correct" plates for their cars and make it look right.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I believe that it's possible for the 1962 vehicles to have yellow or black (base) plates. If the vehicle was sold in 1962, the DMV would probably issue the yellow (base) 1956 series plates. If the vehicle was sold or registered in 1963 to 1969, possibly 1970, then they would be issued black (base) 1963 series plates. Regardless of the vehicle being a 1962 model. Vehicles not sold in California may have a license plate with a sequence that doesn't "match" the other vehicles of the same vintage. Early plate may have AAA 123. That is because they may have been brought in to the state and registered at a later date, with later model vehicles. It has been a rumor that the plates issued in 1963 have an apostrophe preceeding 63. The later plates issued did not have the apostrophe. This next part is on the black plates, which later changed to blue(base) plates, around 1970. As for the commercial plates, also known as truck plates, there was a change in how they were put in sequence. Earlier commercial plates started with a letter followed by five numbers, i.e. A 12 345. I believe that the letter A was the starting point or the earliest plates. Around 1967, the sequence changed on the truck plates i.e. 12 345 A. "A" being the beginning of the series. In late 1968 or early 1969, black plates no longer had the 63 stamped in the upper right hand corner, where the year registration sticker would be affixed. In late 1969 or early 1970, the last of the black plates were stamped from aluminum, no longer steel. By late 1970, the blue plates were being issued with another change in sequence. Three numbers followed by three letters i.e. 123 ABC. Again "A" being the beginning of the sequence. Around 1972, there was a change to seven spaces on the plates. Autos would have, as an example 1ABC234, commercial vehicles would have a sequence like 1A23456. First number in the sequence being the starting point. In 1972 personalized or vanity plates were first offered. In a blue based plate. AAA 001 through LZZ 999 would appear to be from 63 to late 64 autos. I have seen 65's with M's and N's. 66's with R,S,T's. 67's U and V's. 68's W and X's. 69's Y and Z's. I think most or all of the Y's and Z's don't have the 63 stamped on them. There are exceptions to this. My car didn't come with black plates, so I'm going to try and register a pair of black plates in July. If you have read this far, don't hold me to this, corrections are welcomed. I am not an expert on this subject, it is just through my observation that I have taken note of the black plates. I guess that is what happens when you are trying to get some black plates on your car. Members with CA black plates, post your first letter(s) and the year of your car so that others wanting to register their cars with black plates can find "correct" plates for their cars and make it look right.
I've posted a lengthy somethingrather like this before. There's an exception to every 'rule' but for the most part this is spot on.

My '69 car was bought in later '68 if I remember right. It has the earlier style trunk floor as well as the '68 build date (can't remember month). Here's the plate on that car

I've heard of farm country cars getting early plates because the dealerships sold mostly trucks and had a surplus of plates. Also, the closer you were to Sacramento, the more likely you had an early issue plate.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I got black plates for my 69 chevelle I bought off ebay costing me about $125 for a nice set.What I do I run them with the IL plates with me,is that the right or legal way NO.But I have been doing for 2 years with no problems.

·
Registered
459 Posts
My car was from Stockton California,Chase Chevrolet,not far from Sacramento Calif. Makes sense. Might I have the only California Black plates made especially for a 68 Nova? They read VND 268. VND=Vin 2=Chevy 2 68= 1968

·
Registered
443 Posts
nova trunk floor

I've posted a lengthy somethingrather like this before. There's an exception to every 'rule' but for the most part this is spot on.

My '69 car was bought in later '68 if I remember right. It has the earlier style trunk floor as well as the '68 build date (can't remember month). Here's the plate on that car

I've heard of farm country cars getting early plates because the dealerships sold mostly trucks and had a surplus of plates. Also, the closer you were to Sacramento, the more likely you had an early issue plate.
What diffrent is there in the early 68 trunk floors

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Starting July 1, 2009 YOM (Year Of Manufacture) will allow 1963 through 1970cars to change their California plates to be Black with Yellow lettering.

Part of the law requires TWO (2) used plates to be clean, in good condition and legilable.

As stated in another post, you need to check with DMV before you BUY these plates to make sure they are CLEAR and have no liens against them.
Otherwise you just spent your money for wall hangings.

Bryan

·
Registered
40 Posts

Kind of bringing this post back a bit but just thought id mention how cool that license plate frame is. My 67 was also purchased at Cormier Chevrolet. If you want to sell that frame let me know!

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Kind of bringing this post back a bit but just thought id mention how cool that license plate frame is. My 67 was also purchased at Cormier Chevrolet. If you want to sell that frame let me know!
I have the pair actually, and they're staying in my possession, sorry!

The '68 trunk floor was funny in that it didn't have a 'raised' section like the mid year '69 -'72 cars did for the spare tire in the middle. I don't know where the pics are for that, but it looks more flat between the frame rails rather than a mountain in the middle.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts