Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the AAACA Swap Meet in in Louisville, KY last weekend. I spoke to Joe from Chevy II Only. First time I was aware of their new front coil over conversion for 1st & second gens. Looked nice and easy to install. I wish that had been available 2 or three years ago, b/4 I had so much time in getting my front end to work right. It costs about $600, still much cheaper than the Fatman kit. It retains the stock control arms, steering, etc and really just replaces the spring, shock, upper shock mount and spring saddle. Anyone on the site do this conversion yet?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Front Coil Over Conv

Dan, I've done it and like it. If you go to my sig at photobucket in photo album find coil over conversion. I have pic and some instructions as I installed them. Cheers! Eric

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I do not but since it is mostly a part for part replacement, I'd suspect there is little change, maybe 10-15 pounds.

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ball Joints, Tie rod ends, poly bushings, idler arm the first time around.
Replaced the idler arm a second time.
Then installed the idler arm bearing kit. (good mod)
Kept re-aligning the front end and replacing the front tires once a year to meet the PA annual safety inspection.
Finally installed the front end lockout kit, cut 1/2 coil off of the front springs, installed new front spring perches, and had aligned to the specs from the CIIO Web site.
Lost some front end rise on acceleration due to the front spring perches and shorter springs, but steers straight and true and not nearly so scarey to drive. Now have 2 years on one set of tires and they still look good. I had been wearing out a set of front tires in probably less than 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
99 Posts
front coil over conversion

Jrocket, I have an awsner on weight, just took a bit to find notes. New assy wht. 12.75 lbs. each, old parts coming out were 3.75 lbs. less for a total loss of 7.5 lbs. My total weight loss was 50 lbs. for r&p conversion, heim conversion and coil over conversion. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
2NDTYM said:
My total weight loss was 50 lbs. for r&p conversion, heim conversion and coil over conversion
What's a R&P conversion?

Also is the only advantage of the coil overs weight? Theres got to be some reason to spend the money besides weight savings.

-Aaron

·
Registered
99 Posts
Aaron, R&P conversion = Rack and Pinion Conversion. Reasons to change: Besides the bling factor which no one can realy see is weigth, but most is the adjustability in shock settings- just turn the knob and well the ability to change spring weights to allow further adjustability in extension and rebound. You can also adjust the ride height with a spaner wrench to where you want it as long as it is with in guide lines of the shock manufacture. Cheers!

·
Registered
298 Posts
2NDTYM,

does your weight loss of 50lbs include a disc brake conversion or did you car come with disc?

How is the ride compaired to the stock coil spring is it softer, harder or about the same

·
Registered
99 Posts
kceb10, That weigth loss has nothing to do with disk brakes. The total of 50 lbs is for as I stated r&p, heim and coil over. Ride is hard to describe. It is a nicer ride I feel, stiffness is a function on what wht. spring you use. I would kinda describe it the same but smoother..... there is not a sharpness if front end when you hit a bump like before,feels like a new car that hit it bump. If that makes any sense to you. P.S. I run 38 lbs in front tires. Cheers!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Fred, Heim....= Front struts converted to dual heim end. Check it out I have pic's and instructions with b/m. Go to photobucket in sig. under albums you'll click on heim conversion. Cheers!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts