Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know theres a bunch of threads on this already, but i jsut got my eliminators from summit, i went with moser #9200, Im having 2nd thoughts about using them. i dont want to cut my 12 bolt just so these can leak and turn into a bigger headache. im really considering buying a 9", jsut sucks that everything on my 12 bolt is still pretty new. So what are your thought, should i just man up and use the eliminators?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I know theres a bunch of threads on this already, but i jsut got my eliminators from summit, i went with moser #9200, Im having 2nd thoughts about using them. i dont want to cut my 12 bolt just so these can leak and turn into a bigger headache. im really considering buying a 9", jsut sucks that everything on my 12 bolt is still pretty new. So what are your thought, should i just man up and use the eliminators?
sell the 12 bolt and build the 9" thats what i did.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
If Moser was still using the leakers like I had, I would have advised against it. The extra seal in the 9200's seems to work well for others, and it's a minor trim job to use them.
If anything, I would add the F**D ends and bearings to the 12 bolt.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
The only pace they'll leak is between the eliminators and the backing plate, and between the bakcing plate nad housing end. Just apply a little RTV on these surfaces and bolt her together and they won't leak. At least mine don't.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
I would add the F**D ends and bearings to the 12 bolt.
That's what I did. I had the old style "leakers' on the 12 bolt in my Vega, and they didn't leak that bad. I too used he RTV and it worked fine.

IMO I would use the eliminators.:yes:

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Why are you wanting to use the eliminators?

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
I have seen more axles come out of Ford rear ends than any C-clip axle.

I guess what is his car being used for?
Are they really needed?

If he has rear disc brakes they are not needed!

Al

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
I have seen more axles come out of Ford rear ends than any C-clip axle.
Al, are you just saying that? Cause almost all the axles I see out are mainly C-clip axles wether is on the street, strip or freeway. I hardly ever, very rarley, wait none that I can recall at this time see a Ford or similar type axle come out unless it has broken at the flange. JMO. :cool:

on edit; But I never said never...:D

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
I been using Strange c-clip eliminators and axles for about 20 years on the street. They only place they have ever leaked is at the bearing end. (Not much else to them) Mine leaked when the bolts came loose. A aftermarket cover without the grooves that send oil to the bearings will help eliminate leaks.
I have saw several cars break axles at the strip of every brand and type of stock axle. The Fords break at the flange and Chevys break in the middle I have also saw a Dana 60 shear off at the flange. I had a good friend with 31 spline ford axle that was twisted at least 2/3 around right at the point the axle comes out of the carrier of a Detroit locker.
My brothers Nova broke a stock Dana 60 axle at took out the tree once before it had Summers Brothers axles put in it.
I was following a old Ford once and saw it loose a wheel, brake drum and axle and go off the road on Broadway in my hometown. The car and parts all landed up in a cemetery.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
If he gets in the 10's NHRA says you need them.
There ya go!:yes:
Al, are you just saying that? Cause almost all the axles I see out are mainly C-clip axles wether is on the street, strip or freeway. I hardly ever, very rarley, wait none that I can recall at this time see a Ford or similar type axle come out unless it has broken at the flange. JMO. :cool:

on edit; But I never said never...:D
No, I'm not "just saying that".

With all the guys with these Mustangs, In the last year I have seen 3! Axle breaks just inside the bearing area, breaking the bearing.

Quality axles are more important, IMO!

And back when I was heavy into racing I had only see one. And that was in a V8 Vega with a stock rear! it was kinda funny!

And maybe NHRA has seen some issue with S/S P/S cars.
Who knows, not that NHRA would make a rule so a company can sell parts! They would not do that:rolleyes:

I had a big argument with a Inspector and they are looking into the rule. If you have disc brakes you don't need them. The brake system is a retaining devise.

Al

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
i've saw

it gets real ugly when an axle comes out. One time a friend called me , said he heard something in his rearend break. We pulled the drive shaft , and removed the cover , couldn't see anything wrong. Then we pulled it with a pick up with a chain ,, was only suppose to be less than 1/4 mile to get it off of the highway ,,,, BOOM , the cross pin broke,, first axle came out , cleared the car , the other one came out , got wedged under the car and almost threw the car over a guard rail before the car came to a stop.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
the cross pin broke,,

Thats a new one!

he must have not known what he was looking at!

Seems it would have locked the rear up!
Pin comes out, hit the pinion and locks the carrier!

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Pin comes out, hit the pinion and locks the carrier!
Been there! Just cruising down the street about 25 mph and made a rather sudden stop--it's amazing how well the slicks stopped the car in such a short distance!! Took a long time getting the car to the curb.....back up a few inches until the shaft hit, go forward until it hit the other side.....repeat....No power steering made it a real joy.
Not long after I fixed it (right there in the street) it snapped again on my way to work....this time it just free-wheeled. I pulled to the curb, put it in park, started to get out and the car rolled away---nothing much left in the rear to keep the drivetrain connected!!
I no longer use the well known So.Cal. rear end shop that set-up my old 10 bolt.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts