Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do I locate a by-pass regulator. Can I locate it near the fuel pump to save the return line distance?

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Ideally you want it close to the carburetor/nozzles to reduce any line losses. Also make sure the return line is large enough to handle the return flow without over-pressuring the regulator.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to run the Sniper FI system w/the Tanks pump,sender and tank. What is the part # of the Corvette regulator. So some are running the bypass regulator by the tank and some up by the carb. Am I wrong in thinking that the return line would be much shorter if the regulator was in the rear?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Another thing to think about is vapor lock and cooler fuel, if it is close to the carb then you will have cooler fuel.

·
Registered
1963 Nova coupe, Phoenix Arizona
2,010 Posts
Holley sells a tank regulated pump and also a filter / regulator that can be mounted in the rear. I would probably do one of those if I didn’t already have my set up. The corvette filters have been going up in price and Holley filter/regulator would probably be cheaper in the long run. I’m to lazy to change mine now 😎

·
Registered
1963 Nova coupe, Phoenix Arizona
2,010 Posts
Another thing to think about is vapor lock and cooler fuel, if it is close to the carb then you will have cooler fuel.
I’ll have to say I don’t fully understand vapor lock, all I know is it’s HOT here, 110* with the AC running , never had an issue.

·
Registered
174 Posts
In my 66 I will have a problem every once in a while where the under hood temp will get the fuel so hot it will cause a vapor lock situation. I my case I added a boost pump, inline at the tank, mainly for extra fuel pressure/flow when on boost, I have an 871 blower with dual 750 carbs and when I stand on it she will drink quit heavily. Anyway when I see the fuel pressure drop I just turn on the boost pump and it takes care of the vapor lock problem. I am planning a new fuel system this winter and will be running dual lines from the tank to the engine compartment, there will be the regulator so I will have cooler fuel all the time. Just a thought.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Vapor lock is a condition where the pump sucks vapor from the suction side of the pump due to the fuel dropping below the vapor pressure. Any condition on the pressure side of the pump is not vapor lock.

·
Registered
174 Posts
In my situation the problem occurs when idling in hot conditions and the routing of the fuel line under the car, HEAT, Before getting to the mechanical pump inlet, using an electric pump at the tank will pressurize the fuel line and force the fuel into the mechanical pump again. This is a "quick fix" and works well for me at the moment but the real fix will be to have the regulator at the fuel rail or distribution block so the fuel is always moving and staying cooler. I was always told that Vapor Lock is due to the fuel turning to vapor before getting to the inlet side of the pump, mechanical fuel pumps do not pump vapor very well.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Another style is the fuel regulator with by pass that requires a long return line. With this style you can dial in your fuel pressure. 93F17A77-D203-437B-BABC-3849FAC1F3BE.jpeg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts