Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a couple of cars for sale; both are located in Canada.

Does anyone have information/experience in the process of getting a new purchase into the lower 48 and getting it registered.

My two calls to the local DMV did not help.

Any insight appreciated.

Lou in Arkansas

·
Registered
914 Posts
I went from the U.S. to Canada. Start by contacting Canadian customs for the export and U.S. Customs for the import. A lot will fall into place with their info. D.M.V. last. Keep all the ad's, correspondence and bill of sale ect. on record. Tell both customs when you're crossing borders with cash/cheque ect. Ask banks how long cheques take to clear. Either customs may also put a hold on cheque even if it's certified. That's just off the top of my head. Don't be afraid to ask everyone questions.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
I think GM Vintage services, link at top of this section can help you with the manufacturer documentation that will help you to export the vehicle.

Remember that in most provinces, there are no titles but only registration documents that show proof of ownership. Take copies of the owners drivers license to protect yourself.

I think that US customs has a website that details what you need to do to import a car. Follow the rules and you should be okay.

ray

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did a lot of computer search, and it looks overwhelming.

Have to steam clean the bottom of the car!!!! Plus tons of paperwork and expendatures.

You have to deal with importing the car to the US and also exporting it from Canada.

·
6,503 Posts
Some of this may be true. As for importing a car to Canada, I do everything myself. I've brought in more then 10 cars. Recall letter can be had from the dealer on a lot of cars but not all(Check with rivcanda). Just bought a Cadillac last week.

I've only exported one car(the 65 Chevy II). I delivered it to the new owner in a trailer. The week before I sold it I crossed the border with it. Told US customs that I was going to a swap meet and the car would be up for sale. Wrong thing to say. Certain forms(which they didn't have) needed to be filled out and things done. They ended up telling me to go back and get the proper paper work. We just turned around and went 15 miles more and crossed at Niagara Falls. Told them we were going to a car show with the car. Their reply was have a good time. Once we were at Carlilse I asked people at the dmv station on Carlisle grounds as to what paper work is needed to sell the car. They said just go to the local airport customs office and they will have the paperwork needed. I drove there and they happily gave me the papers but said that what I'm doing could be done by any buyer after he bought the car. I sold the car that weekend(actually as soon as I got home the new future new buyer called and said he'd take the car). I gave him the paperwork and he had no problems.

Contact your local customs(airport or port) and get the lastest info from them. would be my advise.

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a lot of good info being provided. I appreciate it.

Lou

·
Registered
914 Posts
When I brought my car in from the U.S., neither customs even came outside to look at the car. But you guys got that whole paranoid homeland security thing goin' on so it may be different for you.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Buying a car in Canada for import to the U.S.

I have done this several times. Don't even waste your time reading about these guys that have imported cars to Canada, it is a while different process. I have done both a number of times. I used to transport antique and classic cars for other people both in the U.S. and Canada.
First things first, when you pay for the car, get the last registration or a copy of it from the seller. Also, get them to complete a bill of sale including year, make, model, vin#, amount of transaction, their name & address and your name and address. This should be signed by at least the seller and best if you sign it also. Those two documents and the car are all you will need at the border in order to bring the car across.

The easiest import is a vehicle 25 yrs or older because then you simply declare it for personal use. At that point Canadian Customs will not care what your doing so you pass through to U.S. customs with the car. They will look at your paperwork, possibily the car and they will complete two forms for you.
The first form is simply to describe the vehicle and record, the amount you paid and you are bringing it into the states and will be responsible for sales tax in the state you reside. The second form is for the EPA, if the vehicle was manufactured prior to 1969 it will be exempt from EPA regulations and they will simply state that on the form and give you a copy. If it was manufactured in 1969 or later the vehicle must have all EPA required equiptment or decals on it that were required when new. Not a big deal for most antique cars. Example is the first cars covered were only required to have the decal on the core support that stated the proper tuning for the car, i.e. timimg, spark plug gap, etc, etc. Later on the cars required vapor canisters and PCV valves, unleaded gas decals, etc.
As long as any EPA required items are present, you are good to go. The next stop if your local state DMV where you present the two forms from U.S. Customs and probably the bill of sale. They will collect your sales tax and any appropriate fees for license, registration & title.
Any questions, email me at [email protected]
If you would like, I can also quote transporting the car for you.

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lou check your messages and see the pm I sent to you.:yes:
I appreciate the lead on the 66 Canadian Pontiac in Louisana.

All I had to go on was the owners name. I used a "white" pages look-up and found him. We had a long conversation yesterday.

It is really a sharp car, but about 10K over my budget. I have to keep looking.

Thanks Lou

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Excuse me, please

I found all the responses in this thread very informative and not a waist of anyones time! not even yours four speed :turn:
I'm sorry, that comment was intended for Lou who was looking for information concerning importing a vehicle into the states. I did not mean to imply the information concerning shipment into Canada wasn't informative, it just wasn't what he was looking for and I thought it might mislead him.
Please accept my apology if I offended you or anyone that offered advise.
Norm

·
Registered
338 Posts
OneCarNut Nova Search

Lou said thanks for all the input from everyone.:yes:

But for now, he plans to step back from his Nova search for awhile.

That is all for now on this subject.:D

69camaro

1 - 14 of 14 Posts