Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm debating on what to do with me cooling situation. I'm in the process of replacing the radiator due to overheating issues and am trying to figure out what to do for a fan. As of now I have a 1,200 cfm fan in front of my rad and a mechanical fan in it's desired/specified location (duh!) Since I'm getting a new rad I'm debating on whether or not I will need a new electric fan or is that even necessary, bringing me to my question. If I go all the way with the electric and remove the mechanical will my 1,200 cfm be sufficient or will I need to get a new one? Or is it possible that I will be ok running both my current mech and elec fans?

Obviously money is an issue (isn't it always) so if anyone has any suggestions that are proven to work at low cost please let me know what the best route is.

Side note, I've "heard" that you need at LEAST a 2,500 cfm elec fan to replace the mech fan but at shows I see guys with 396's and a single elec fan yet the highest CFM I can find for a single elec fan is 2,200. What is the factual cfm that is needed to run a sinlge elec fan allowing you to put the mech fan in the parts bin? P.S. I've got a 350 stroked to 383

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I second that. Taurus fan works great. I would also recommend the hollister fan relay kit.. Fans are cheap from the salvage yards

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I have used Cooling Components electric fans in 3 different cars now with no complaints. They come with a nice shroud in several sizes. the shrouds are trimmable. 2500 CFM and quiet, 2 speed motor with the new thinner motor, only about 2 5/8" deep.
Whatever fan you use I would recomend a puller over a pusher If you have room.

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
I run a Taurus fan!
I second that. Taurus fan works great. I would also recommend the hollister fan relay kit.. Fans are cheap from the salvage yards
The Taurus FANS move some CFM.. I have see estimates of 3500 on low and 4500 on hi... there is no after market fan that touches those numbers.. plus the durability of a OEM fan will exceed any of the aftermarket fans...

I bought one in hopes of using it... but my set up had space limiting factors.. so I sold it... the Taurus fans could be used for Hover craft!:eek: if ya really want some CFM step up to the Lincoln MKVIII its a huge sucker.. and on HI speed it displaces a estimated 5500 CFM:eek:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Just make sure its the biiger engine that came in those cars.. 90-95 3.8
I just purchased this relay kit and it worked perfect. Everyting is wired nice with 8-10g and could be used in many different ways. toggle/thermo, and I used it off my PCM.. I had a DC contoller before this which only ran off the high speed, this kit runs both speeds when needed.

http://www.hollisterroad.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MarkVIII

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
The Taurus FANS move some CFM.. I have see estimates of 3500 on low and 4500 on hi... there is no after market fan that touches those numbers.. plus the durability of a OEM fan will exceed any of the aftermarket fans...

I bought one in hopes of using it... but my set up had space limiting factors.. so I sold it... the Taurus fans could be used for Hover craft!:eek: if ya really want some CFM step up to the Lincoln MKVIII its a huge sucker.. and on HI speed it displaces a estimated 5500 CFM:eek:
hey, I bought Veno's taurus fan. thanks again man.

to the OP

Im converting to e85 so I will be changing to a small pusher fan for looks and space since with e85 you dont need as much fan.

I have the taurus fan for sale with a free 70amp relay. if you want it , pm me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts