Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to clean up the sloppy front and back end suspetion so I was thinking of getting new bushings what do you think and if it is a good idea what kits should I go with?

·
Registered
131 Posts
energy suspension makes a poly kit for the front and I believe the back. I went thru my whole car and put poly bushing all thru it. There are other kits put there to that have poly bushings. The good thing with poly is they will not give like rubber.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I herd that poly bushings where not good for something in the front end like the strut rod bushing. What do you think.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm very happy with my PST poly-graphite bushings. I got the entire kit (front and back) along with the swaybars. Make sure you use a ton of the lithium grease or you'll have a serious case of the SQUEAKS!!!:D

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
amusick said:
I herd that poly bushings where not good for something in the front end like the strut rod bushing. What do you think.
The poly bushings on the strut rods up front can cause the strut rods to bend if they ever bind up due to excessive suspension travel. They can also cause the holes in the frame that the strut rod mounts through to "wallow out" faster.

Most people recommend to use poly bushings everywhere BUT the strut rods on the 1st/2nd gen Novas. I've got poly bushings everwhere but the strut rods on my 67.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How hard is it to replace them on the front? Sould I pay the $400 in labor or is it easy? I do have the ability to turn a wrench but I dont have the tools to press bushings so... Sould I do it or pay for it.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
amusick said:
How hard is it to replace them on the front? Sould I pay the $400 in labor or is it easy? I do have the ability to turn a wrench but I dont have the tools to press bushings so... Sould I do it or pay for it.
Ouch! $400 is a lot of money to pay for a process that's typically pretty easy. You can have a machine shop press in the bushings for you for around 1/10th (or less) of that cost and put everything back together yourself with readily available tools.

The only thing most people have to come up with is a spring compressor and those are easily borrowed at some auto parts stores.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
novarado said:
PST poly-graphite bushings.
Yes I have heard you should try to get the ones that are graphite impregnated cause if you dont they are prone to squeeking...these items are on my list of need to get parts;)

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
If your going to do the bushings I would recomend doing the ideler arm also. A poly graphite kit would be the one I would go with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts