Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the easiest way for a do it yourselfer (is that really a word?) to remove the steel sleeve and rubber bushings in the front end of each leaf spring. Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
There is no easy way!

I have a press and still cuss those with every breath!

it's a PITA!!

Al

·
3,876 Posts
I used a drill and put as many holes in the rubber as possible until the rubber literally fell out.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
A torch? I know it would be smokey, but WTH?

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
i took a sawzall and cut the ends of the bushings off so all that was left was the rubber inside of the spring.then i took a small screwdriver and shoved it between the rubber and spring and sprayed wd40 in there.did this all the way around the bushing.then took a 3lb sledge and a drift and knocked them out.
it was still alot of work.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Torch um' out

OK, so I guess will torch them out. The next question that comes to mind is......is it a big issue to put the new ones back in? Thanks for the ideas guys.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
i just installed slide-a-links on my rear. i was able to drive front bushings out quite easily with a bearing race/seal driver and a big hammer. in the past i have also used a ball-joint press with impact wrench.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Like 72ventura said.Use a drill and drill as many holes as you can.Eventually the drill bit will start grabbing the bushing and acctaully spinning it out.

I am not sure if you watch the powerblock on spike.But when it opens up every week and it shows different clips of the guys working.It shows them doing just what I am talking about.I was was banging my head over trying to get these out and tried this.Not even having it suggested to me.A bunch of rubber shavings later and a little time and I was in business.

I had to go over to my buddies to install my new bushings.He has a shop press.Of course there solid competetion engineering one's.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts