Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen the warnings about doing first gear burnouts with a TH350, and start mine in first then shift to second and third as soon as the rpms come up. But I haven't found anything on burnouts with a 200-4R and will have mine in soon. Should I use the same procedure and continue into fourth (OD) or leave it in third on the burnout?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
dont know about 200's, but on my Glide. i start in first, build rpms, not too high, hit 2nd & let go of the linelock. i may be doin this wrong, can someone shed some light. my car hook great though.....

JOHN

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I always have done 1st gear burn-outs in my Nova with a TH350, not long though once the shift light went on I would shift into second and so-on :confused: I never had a problem

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
1-2 Shift only is needed!
The shift to get the tire speed up.

Al

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
with my TH350, I start in 1st, shift to second and let off the brake. Did the same with my 200 for the little amount of time I had it in the car.

Never had a problem.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Never try to continue a burnout into O.D. The clutches are not gonna last! That is why the O.D. tranny's would not shift into O.D. in stock applications @ WOT.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Earle, thanks for the link, one of the most concise and helpful discussions I have seen on burnouts with a TH350/TH400. I assume the same guidelines would hold true for a 200-4R: start in second, finish in third, ease off the throttle when the motor starts to load up, don't snap it shut (hard on the converter). This is consistent with what I have read elsewhere. I just got a new 200-4R installed and this what I plan to do when I take it to the track next weekend.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Earle, thanks for the link, one of the most concise and helpful discussions I have seen on burnouts with a TH350/TH400. I assume the same guidelines would hold true for a 200-4R: start in second, finish in third, ease off the throttle when the motor starts to load up, don't snap it shut (hard on the converter). This is consistent with what I have read elsewhere. I just got a new 200-4R installed and this what I plan to do when I take it to the track next weekend.
Hey Bob, what shifter do you have? and is it compatible with the four speed?

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Bob, what shifter do you have? and is it compatible with the four speed?

I have the B&M Mega shifter, and yes it is compatible. It was just a matter of taking a detent pin and c-clips out. Took about 10 minutes but that is only because it is a PIA to attach the shift indicator once you take it off. I had to take the car back to DMC to get the shift cable adjusted, but that should not be a big deal. See ya Sunday at Irwindale :yes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts