Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
some of ya'll might recall the post of a 70 I have in my shop. The customer just bought it for fathers day. After I inspected the car we gave him a list of things that should of been redone and repaired. the car was nice but not really built correctly. it had some shoddy installs. one being the crappy fuel line bolted to the firewall. it was a bunch of old cheap looking fittings, well the owner had taken the car for a drive. I was storing it for him as we just ordered parts for it. he calls us up to tell me the car was on fire. as expected the crappy fuel lines broke and it shot vp all over the distributor. Lighting the car on fire. pretty bad to. its bad but not a total waste. I believe the 468 is still ok. drained 6 gallons of water out of it from the FD. the quick fuel was totally melted. and the drivers valve cover is melted in the head and valley. but I think being that it stalled before the fire its ok. the interior is gone but the back halved tubs are perfect. I need a complete parts car for all the little things melted and that is pretty much everything. Thank god I did not work on this car .

Attachments

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Attention to detail I always say and here's why.

Also, people will by the cheap parts over the good parts because "they look the same" just to save a couple of bucks. :doh: :no: :no: :no:

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The owner does not know which way to go. he does not want to throw away 10 grand. but its gonna cost close to that to fix this. I told him to buy another car. I made a offer on this one. he wants to give it away , thinking its junk. I can see why. I think its got potential. even after the fire. it sucks .
he is the owner of the business next door to mine. the actual engine fire they were able to put out. he videod the fire and from what I can tell. there was a cheap piece of sheetmetal where the heater box was. its melted and the fire lite up the carpet which started the jaz seats to go. they just kept on burning till the FD showed up. once I cleaned out the melted interior and all the glass. its just a shell. i can redo it cheap, if i get a cheap parts car.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
always good to have a fire extinguisher my first car 69 camaro burned to the ground . Now every car I drive has one , just remember to check em

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
That is a shame when something like that happens. I have always believed when you restore these old cars you should use quality parts and do everything like it should be done. If you can't do it right get someone who can.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I have a friend that has given up on his 71 and I think he would sell you a roller with lots of new sheet metal he has. If interested email me at nova32ten1 @verizon.net and i can take and send you pic along with what he would want. Vehicle is located in Bordentown NJ 08505. let me know,,,,Ron
does the car have interior. ?? this cars sheet metal is actually good, plus its a 3 link with full tubs. that is why I am pursuing it. the motor and trans alone is with a good penny.

on another note he also had no insurance...:(

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
roof is still straight, carpet came right up and so did all the melted seats. the dash is gone, the wiring is just copper strands. floor is perfect, cage still has paint on it. my bet is its good. dash is a bit buckled , but it was cut up pretty bad before the fire. <--- custom tin job that looked cheap.
most of the mess is melted custom door panels and headliner. the glass shattered when the FD water hit it. window tint is still holding the shattered glass remains .
the rear window is fine. there is wood for a fire bulkhead between the tubs. it did not burn. looks worse than it really is. 7 minutes burning ,does a lot of damage.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
painful memory

Not so much different from when mine burned in '09.
Thank God I had collectors insurance! Took all of the $12k check to rebuild her too, and that with nothing major to motor or trans.
My carb and valve covers looked about the same, melted lumps. Like this one it was not running so nothing got sucked inside.

Personally I'd buy it and make a nice track only car. Cheaper then redoing the interior, etc.

One other thing is the burned smell will be there forever. Notice mine on hot days mostly, seems to bring it out. Not strong but it is there for sure. Could effect resale value a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have to upload some pics , I started working on the burned 70, i had some free time to cut off the roof and put on a good one from a cheap parts car i bought. I DA'd the entire car, cut out the dash . I'm going to sand blast the cage and re spray it. As far as the burned smell. its totally gone, the car actually smells like perfume. The old owner owns a dry cleaning business, he had his building treated for odor a while back. The company comes out and sprays this stuff all around and runs some kind of air filtration system for a few days then sprays another chemical to make it smell good . So we pushed the car in and i had them chemically treat it.
I picked up a 72 ss that was so badly rotted in the back . It had a fantastic front end and interior. it was also a 3 link car. scored it for $500 and sold most the parts for $400.

·
Premium Member
3,854 Posts
always good to have a fire extinguisher my first car 69 camaro burned to the ground . Now every car I drive has one , just remember to check em
I was thinking the same exact thing.
I have a $24 fire extinguisher off amazon with me.
I'd like to think its cheap insurance.

·
5,127 Posts
I had a 70 burn driving it home the day I bought it. Aftermarket amp gauge in a Camaro console shorted. Flames were out the door as I exited, interiors burn easy.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
some new pics, first pic is the body DA'd and the new roof skin on. on the second one I have the factory dash cut out, gotta do a little metal repair and blast down all the firewall. last pick is the tail panel , the fire department pryed the trunk open crushing the panel. a few more days worth of work and she should be ready to prime. then I have to reinstall it all.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Nova Rescue

It is great to see this car being saved. It must have been a heck of a blow to the previous owner. Paid for it, it burned up....no money and no car what a bummer.

I wish you far better luck with it during your care. I think those 3rd gens are sweet looking with that stance...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts