1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone have a recommendation for a good place to straighten and re-chrome
my Nova's bumpers?

I'm not looking for super triple show chrome...something closer
to original showroom chrome would be better for me.
Too nice might just make the rest of the car look worse. :>

I want to make sure I get the same bumpers back that I take in...any
suggestions? I did find a small " 2 + " stamp on the back of the front
bumper that might help. It was a late February delivered car.

Any way to identify them as factory original bumpers?
I didn't see any part numbers.

I called Keystone. They just farm them out to Universal in Irwindale
these days. I called Universal directly and they want 2 weeks and
$500.00 to do both bumpers.

thanks
wayne

·
Registered
148 Posts
Bumper Rechrome

Have not tried this place yet but I had a quote as follows for rechroming my Nova bumpers:

rechrome bumpers $170 each or triple show chrome for $225 each

I believe the guy I spoke to was Ricardo? He also shows up to the Long Beach Car Swapmeet and I believe there is one this weekend?

There number and address is below.

D&R Chrome
1835 Randolph St
Los Angeles, CA 90001
(323) 717-8899, (323) 610-3691, (323) 584-6978

Hope this helps .....

·
Registered
461 Posts
I will have to look for my receipt tonight. The guy I went to is in Arcadia/Irwindale. It cost me $700 for chroming both bumpers, misc and polishing most of the aluminum and S/S, that was a few years ago though.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
You can talk to Bob Barnes at Verne's Chrome Plating in Gardena. They staighten and chromed my front bumper. They also did the powder coating, polishing, nickle, and chrome plating on all my projects....... 323-754-4126

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
You can get new bumpers from Goodmark for 3rd gens thru Jegs at less than what it would cost to re-chrome your old ones? $139 each.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Wayne,
Glad to help you out. Hope you are as happy as I am with their work. Look forward to checking out your car at one of the local shows or cruises when you get it back together.
Brian

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hi Brian,

Well since you asked.... :>

I like those guys but...
The bumpers were ok. Doesn't appear to be the triple-chrome they promised.
Looks more like just a single flash plating. Several imperfections but maybe thats because I told them several times that I was afraid that perfect bumpers would be better than factory-issue and just make the rest of the car look bad.

So anyway, the front bumper was original (well I think so anyway from the coding stamped on the inside) with minimal damage..it came out pretty nice.

The back bumper was a damaged replacement and something isn't fitting right... I've got a body shop friend coming over to take a look.
I can't figure out if it's the bumper or the body that isn't quite square...or maybe some of both. But it looks like I may be taking the rear bumper off and returning it for some more work.
Thanks for checkin' in.

Here's a pic with the new front bumper and new filler panel.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Doesn't appear to be the triple-chrome they promised.
Looks more like just a single flash plating.
My understanding is the good ole' EPA has banned alot of chemicals to get that old 60-70s quality chrome plating. It might be as good as it gets in CA. I used El Monte Plating like Dale and was very pleased with the results. They straighten and re-anodized my headlight bezels and grille as well as chromed my roof rack and bumpers. In my time of need, I will return to them.

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Wayne,
Sorry you weren't completely happy with the first results. I hope they will remedy it for you. I would hate to think I sent you somewhere and you weren't satisfied.
Brian

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
For future reference, if one were to use Universal Plating in Irwindale, go there about/after 5:30 p.m. and see the "Dad," I believe his name is Jessie. If you go during the day you end up talking to one of his sons and you'll pay a lot more and have to wait a lot longer.

I had stuff turned in five days for real cheap using the late afternoon method. A six pack of Bud wouldn't hurt your cause either!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts