Chevy Nova Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years I have been wondering what is missing from my front and rear bumper impact strips. All of the ends appear unfinished as if an end cap is supposed to be there. Can someone help?
Thanks
Scott

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have asked around locally but have never found anyone that knew for sure what went there. I expect I will need to fabricate something. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
857 Posts
If we could get a good one, I could make a mold, then parts from a flexible urethane plastic that I already have. I'm sure lots of people need them.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
If we could get a good one, I could make a mold, then parts from a flexible urethane plastic that I already have. I'm sure lots of people need them.
In the past, you've done hard plastic stuff. IIRC, the impact strips are somewhere between hard and soft plastic: not so hard that they break when hit but not as soft as door gaskets are.

Have you found a specific resin mixture to get close to factory? If so, you may have found another market for yourself.

Oh, and don't forget the small rectangular strips that go on either side of the front license plate. Rear bumper had them, too (I think.)

·
Registered
857 Posts
I don't think I could make the whole strip, just the end caps. I got this resin to make fillers for the front & back of 75-79 novas. I think it would work perfect for the end caps, if a pretty good one could be found.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will buy 4!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Philip, I thought someone was already making these, or am I thinking of the bumper fillers. Anyway, I may have what you are looking for. I took all the bumper fillers and stuff off my 75 parts car that I stripped last year. I'm not exactly sure what we are talking about here, so if someone can post a pic, I will look through what I have.

If I have it, I'll send it to you 76 SS.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Are you talking about the Black strip's that go around the bumper like this(look at Pic's) if so i would be willing to send mine off.

·
Registered
177 Posts
That's the impact strip. But on each corner of them, there is a little plastic trim that covers the hole in the bumper and make the impact strip end without an opening. But unfortunately that is a part easily lost and really hard to find.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Washed my car this weekend for a show and noticed the black rubber in the driveway. For some reason, after 34 years three of the of the four end caps "broke off" all of a sudden.

I MAY be able to save the last one so we can make a mold. I'll check this week.

Wish me luck.

Dean

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hope it works out for you to make the mold. I will be watching to see if you are successful. Thanks for trying.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The end pieces everyone is discussing is for model years 75 and 76 only. I have discussed this with a known Nova vendor in the Mi / Oh area who also works full time at a GM dealer. He informed me that there was absolutely no part number from GM on these 75-76 impact strips. This is typical of all 75-76 Novas. I hope this can be resolved in the repop world. This must have been a problem then and would explain the change in 77 to a all one piece unit which is what they should of done in the first place in the 75 model year.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.