Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My buddy is thinking about picking up a really nice 74 Nova and he is not a big fan of the large front and rear bumper and grill. Are 74 bumpers or grills interchangable with different years? Do they make a bumper that sits closer to the body? Is there an aftermarket grill available for these cars too? Maybe a billet grill without the marker lights etc.

I'd hate to see him not buy the car just because of the bumpers or grill.

No offense to anyone who ownes a 74 cuz I like em..:D

Dave

·
Registered
112 Posts
no one replied yet?

HEyyy, i can't beleive 11 people read this and no one replied yet, but yes you can make a 74 front end look like a 68-72, 68 and 69 had slightly different grills' and different front bumpers, i have a 74 though and i did/am doing the front end swap, all i need now is the metal bumper filler bracket and the bumper filler that's plastic/fiberglass (depending on which u order or acquire), the only real problem i've run into on swapping the front end on mine....well a couple......is the turn signals.....you'll have to swap the wiring and the housings to the 70-72 or 68-69, depending on which u want, this wire swap business was a pain, cuz i got original 70 turn signal housings with the wiring, i swapped the wires, like ground to ground, etc... and they never worked correctly, not sure what the problem was soOO i cut out the back of the turnsignal housing and put in the 74 turn signal LIGHt bulb housing and epoxied it, it's hidden behind the bumper anyways and i'm not concerned about originality,
the otehr problem is that on my 74 nova's frame, and according to another memeber, the 74 frame doesn't have the holes/slots drilled on the front frame rails for the bumper brackets.....so yyou'lll have to drill your own or drill them out on the brackets......i've yet to do that cuz ....my frame is a little "off" i think and the spacing on each fender is off so i'm waiting i guess to get the plastic filler panel.....
sorry this is all so long and rambling but yes, you can do the swap,
DriveWFO on this site also has a 74 nova with the front end swap, another thing you could swap if your going all out is the rear end.......but, the rear quarter panels are different....so is the rear windows, one guy on hear said itheir larger on 73 and 74 nova's,
anymore questions please don't hesitate to IM me cuz as much as i've learned etc.. i've considered a writing a book on restoring NOVA"s

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
FunkyNova66 said:
ummm...Dave,

Different hood? Fenders? filler panel? Grill? wrap around stainless? headlight buckets?Wiring? Marker lens? How about the rear bumper? A little :rolleyes: information would be appreciated.:p :D
Holy sh**, I ain't typing all that info again :rolleyes: 74customnova has a decent listing of what to do. We've beat this topic like a red-headed stepchild on here. Use that Search link up there :D :D :D

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
DriveWFO said:
Holy sh**, I ain't typing all that info again :rolleyes: 74customnova has a decent listing of what to do. We've beat this topic like a red-headed stepchild on here. Use that Search link up there :D :D :D

Lazy Sucka :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
256 Posts
why

why would you want to change a great boy style on a 73&74
this is a great body style but it could be changed but it would be alot of work and time consuming

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
FunkyNova66 said:
ummm...Dave,

Different hood? Fenders? filler panel? Grill? wrap around stainless? headlight buckets?Wiring? Marker lens? How about the rear bumper? A little :rolleyes: information would be appreciated.:p :D
good question, its a car built for two years. not like the ones before or the ones after. yes the bumper extent our (notice i didn't say stick out), but that part of the design and what makes them different.
buy the sucker leave it alone for a couple of years and then, if he still doesn't like it, make the changes. yes it's not too hard to make the changes, just some patience a couple of holes and ................

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
And if you like the look of wing windows you can chage the doors too. Of course I'm just the opposite. I have a 72 and just purchased 74 doors and door panels because I HATE :mad: the wing windows.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts