Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 71 I purchased came with a bulldog alarm system that did not work. I purchased another bulldog alarm system and afetr my son leaving the remote out in the rain the system doesn't work correctly. Sometimes the parking lights stay on ang won't go off unless you disconnect the battery. The wiring in the car doen't seem to be very good. Should I trash the wiring and start over?

·
6,560 Posts
I would think with a remote that got wet it wouldn't activate/deactivate the system and I see no connection from that as to why the parking lights are staying on.
With the parking lights staying on now and then I would think there is a problem with the brain inside the car. You could also have a problem with something in the car as most parking light circuits are forward fed and back fed from the aftermarket alarms parking light output. Normally you find a parking light wire and tap into it without adding any diodes to prevent back feeding but I have seen back feeding problems occur with some late model cars. Some alarm systems also have external relays to do things like flash the parking lights. This relay could have bad contacts that are sticking due to arcing or the contact arm does not have enough force to open the contact points back open.

Did the system come with a second remote. If so take the battery out of the one that got wet and see if the parking lights stay on any more from use. If they do it's not from the wet remote. If it only does it with a battery in the remote that got wet then it's FM (f#@*%^g magic).

I would check out any wiring that looks like it might cause problems. I would also look at how the connections were made and for proper fusing.

Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts