Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 nova and I have a problem. I started the engine and it was ilding and it died. when I went to start it again it would not do anything I mean dead. I was told that this has happened before but this was the first time with me. I got out a pressed and shook the bulkhead connector and it then started right up and run prefect. Is it possible to change the connector or do I have to rewire the car with a Painless wiring kit? I was hoping I could just replace the bulkhead connector in the fire wall. Has any one ever had this problem and what did you do to correct it. I was thinking about spraying some electrial contact clean on it. I don't know for sure if it is the connector or a wire is loose. Would anyone know what wires ( color ) I need to look for?:confused:

·
Registered
885 Posts
I would rewire the car if your wiring is hacked up, over loaded and especially the engine harness. Old brittle wiring scares me. Good piece of mind that your baby won't burn to the ground.:2cents:

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
the engine harness is the bulkhead plug you wiggled, the other runs to the headlights etc... yes they can be purchased separately but as stated if the wiring is in poor condition you may be better off replacing the complete harness... no, it's not cheap for a quality harness either.

if you just want the engine harness... look here:
http://chevynova.com/home.php

1966-1966
ENGINE WIRING HARNESS
6 Cylinder

Part#
Price
Pkg
EACH
Qty

1966-1966
ENGINE WIRING HARNESS
V8

Part#
Price
Pkg
EACH

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
the mating side of the bulkhead connector is the rear of the fuse block. If this side is bad, you will have to replace the dash harness. I'd suggest removing the engine side of the bulkhead connector and inspect each terminal - male and female to make sure they are correctly inserted and making proper contact.

Frank

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I'd remove the bulkhead connectors and check for possible corrosion or damaged pins.

Did you happen to check to see if anything else worked when you had the problem? Headlights, dome light, etc. The main power lead for the fuse block is in the other connector which carries the current for most everything on the car. We've seen that connector damaged from years of use which in turn causes a loose connection. That all starts the cycle of more heat, more damage.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The firewall connector on my 65 nova came apart and I had a similar condition( nothing) I found that the connector was just in need of a little cleaning and tightening and it still works great five years later. Cheers, Pat

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The firewall connector on my 65 nova came apart and I had a similar condition( nothing) I found that the connector was just in need of a little cleaning and tightening and it still works great five years later. Cheers, Pat
Thanks Pats/65
It has not did this again yet. I am going to get some electrical contact cleaner and clean it. Hope that will solve the problem. I was waiting to see which one caused the problem. Do you know which one it was on your 65. Any info would help.
Thanks
Redo

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
My sons 67 had some bulkhead connector issues and his wallet had bigger issues so we repaired it. We exposed every wire in the harness and repaired all the chopped up stuff from the prvious owners. With a little corrosion, heat cycling due to electrical resistance it’s not long before you have a failure inside the connector block. You can still buy the terminals that fit the bulkhead connector but they are hard to find. When I found them I bought all they had in stock. I have a few left over if you can’t find them. Just let me know.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thanks Pats/65
It has not did this again yet. I am going to get some electrical contact cleaner and clean it. Hope that will solve the problem. I was waiting to see which one caused the problem. Do you know which one it was on your 65. Any info would help.
Thanks
Redo
In my case it was the whole connector that came apart. I would recommend check all wires&connection points for good contact and your as good as gold. Cheers, Pat

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
When I first got my car there was an intermittent 'no start'. Like you, I would move the bulkhead connector and then it would start. I found that most of the wire strands at the bulkhead connector pin for the starter we're broken. I carefully removed the pin and successfully removed the old wire from the pin and replaced the wire, crimping and soldering the wire in the pin. I haven't had a starting problem since.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bulkhead connector ????????

I have ordered and recieved a new engine wiring harnes. The problem I am running into replacint it is the brake booster. This is a chrome booster and the clearance is real tight. I think that is what happened to the old one because when the wires came out of the connector they had to be bent 90 deg. down because of the clearance. I am looking for a new booster that will give me more clearance in that area. Any suggestion what to to do would be appreciated.
Redo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts