Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
built my engine, dropped it in, now ready to get with the break in. Where should I start on my timing? If it matters it's a 350 .060 over .494 lift w 240 duration cam, flat pistons, 650 edel, performer rpm intake, headers, flat pistons, stock 76 cc heads??:confused::confused:

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
built my engine, dropped it in, now ready to get with the break in. Where should I start on my timing? If it matters it's a 350 .060 over .494 lift w 240 duration cam, flat pistons, 650 edel, performer rpm intake, headers, flat pistons, stock 76 cc heads??:confused::confused:

What distributor do you have? so to determine advance settings... I would start with 16 initial.... with that much cam and low compression... your going to need timing....

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To add to my earlier post, I am using vacuum advance and don't really know what port to connect it to on the carb even though I read the thread about vacuum advance. Edelbrock performer, right or left port? the right port says for emission controlled and left says non emissions but the thread about this subject said full manifold vacuum that in my understanding is non emission controlled. ????

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What distributor do you have? so to determine advance settings... I would start with 16 initial.... with that much cam and low compression... your going to need timing....
16 initial is that before tdc? I'm sure I sound dumb but I'd rather be sure, thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
What about the vacuum port thing, does it pay to connect it to the non emission side of the carb? Thanks for the help im sorry .442 lift my bad
non emission:D is the 240 duration @ .050 or advertised? sorry I assumed it was .050

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
204/214 @ .050 262/272 @ advertised
back it down to 12... then.. you might find depending on total advance.. you could be 8 to 16 initial.. with a total of 34 to 38 degrees...

you did say what distrib you have? because of adjustment capable styles can be much more finely tuned.. not to say that stockers can not be adjustable.. but need to be done by some one that understands what they are doing...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How critical is to find true TDC? I'm not racing or looking for an ungodly amount of power, I just want it to be as right as possible with the tools available.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I could be wrong, but it sounds like your wanting to know how to install the distributor and set the timing initially for startup and break in. Once it's running you can dial it in for best performance. Theres a good thread in the best of at the top of this section on distributor installation. If you have a new flat tappet cam you definately want to get that right so it fires up without a bunch of cranking. You might want to check that out or do a search.

I've seen it explained in detail many times much better than I could do it. It's easy and fool proof once you figure out the procedure. Hope I'm not off base here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts