Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are alot of threads about this going around.

I have done my reaserch and wanted to know if there are any cheaper parts of the same or higher quality than i am listing below. If you know of any cheaper prices or better parts LMK. Attached are the links to each

Rear Diff- powertrax : $361.00
Overhaul kit $ : $89.50
Ring and pinion: : $185 part number 10B82373
Moser Axles: : $244.95
Axle bearings/seals : $30.00
= $910.45

http://www.justdifferentials.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24_45_271&products_id=361

http://www.justdifferentials.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=23_38_133&products_id=1469

http://moserengineering.com/Pages/Ring-Pinion/ringpin.html

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MSR-A102809&N=700+4294925084+4294908216+4294907028+400256+115&autoview=sku

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
I would not use that locker.. they are junk IMO.. and dont last.... a LSD would be a better solution..

Miles offers some alternatives...in the yukon line, and look on summits site for superior Axles.... the largest axle manufacture in the usa. plus they use rolled splines instead of broached....

JBimmolate.....http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/member.php?u=2524 he is our resident rearend inspector!:devil: jus call him doc. proc.!:D

Miles

·
Registered
117 Posts
I found a set of new axles from a company (name was something like "ring and pinion") that matched mosers price. I was already getting stuff from them so I got the axles also. The one problem I had with their axles is that the machined edge where the brake drum sits was cut too small. Basically when you would put the drum on the axle, there was too much play. I'm not throwing dirt on that company, I'm just saying, if I had to do it again I would get moser axles. Oh, and I put in an Auburn posi unit with 3.73s in my 8.2. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Psi units

I thought richmond gears power trax line was supposed to be good? I have not delt with them and if they are junk i trust you on that.

Are LSD postiracs more reliable than a locker unit?

I know there is a fine line between a limited slip differential and a positraction unit, but the way they label them makes it confusing sometimes. Well anyway thanks for the info thou i will use it!

Veno i tried to quote your reply but everytime i tried to post it said my post was to short??? i think its a glitch ..but anyway here goes

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
I found a set of new axles from a company (name was something like "ring and pinion") that matched mosers price. I was already getting stuff from them so I got the axles also. The one problem I had with their axles is that the machined edge where the brake drum sits was cut too small. Basically when you would put the drum on the axle, there was too much play. I'm not throwing dirt on that company, I'm just saying, if I had to do it again I would get moser axles. Oh, and I put in an Auburn posi unit with 3.73s in my 8.2. Hope this helps.
Just FYI....The auburn's don't last long with any abuse. Eaton is a better product.

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
I thought richmond gears power trax line was supposed to be good? I have not delt with them and if they are junk i trust you on that.

Are LSD postiracs more reliable than a locker unit?

I know there is a fine line between a limited slip differential and a positraction unit, but the way they label them makes it confusing sometimes. Well anyway thanks for the info thou i will use it!
you want a clutch type LSD..(eaton, yukon) not a auburn(cone), or one of those slip in units(powertrax)...

Q? are LSD(limited slip Differential) positracs more reliable than a locker unit?
Yes and no, each has properties that lend them selves to certain uses.....Lockers sould be considered as a wide turning, straight line use.. as in nascar.... or rock&hill climbing offroad use...

a clutch type LSD is the best street friendly traction unit you can buy with a very high degree of relibility.... over and above the little slip in lockers. which clunk and snap as the lock and unlock,,,,, over time the teeth of the locker round off and become impudent

Look and read this thread a bit.... in covers terms and uses

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121865

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you want a clutch type LSD..(eaton, yukon) not a auburn(cone), or one of those slip in units(powertrax)...

Yes and no, each has properties that lend them selves to certain uses.....Lockers sould be considered as a wide turning, straight line use.. as in nascar.... or rock&hill climbing offroad use...

a clutch type LSD is the best street friendly traction unit you can buy with a very high degree of relibility.... over and above the little slip in lockers. which clunk and snap as the lock and unlock,,,,, over time the teeth of the locker round off and become impudent

Look and read this thread a bit.... in covers terms and uses

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121865

Yes, i read the post it had a great wealth of information in it. So what im getting from you guys is to go with a EATON unit?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have an 8.2 with all new internals. Every bearing and seal replaced. New Gear Motive 4.10 ring gear. It has Moser axles and with c-clip eliminators. Reider Racing eaton style limited slip carrier. A Toms differential billet steel left side bearing cap. Less than 50 miles since rebuild, 550.00. Just trying to recoop the cost of the parts. Have all receipts.

Scott

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rear axle

I have an 8.2 with all new internals. Every bearing and seal replaced. New Gear Motive 4.10 ring gear. It has Moser axles and with c-clip eliminators. Reider Racing eaton style limited slip carrier. A Toms differential billet steel left side bearing cap. Less than 50 miles since rebuild, 550.00. Just trying to recoop the cost of the parts. Have all receipts.

Scott
Pm sent, i am very interested...

·
Registered
334 Posts
I would not use that locker.. they are junk IMO.. and dont last.... a LSD would be a better solution..

Miles offers some alternatives...in the yukon line, and look on summits site for superior Axles.... the largest axle manufacture in the usa. plus they use rolled splines instead of broached....

JBimmolate.....http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/member.php?u=2524 he is our resident rearend inspector!:devil: jus call him doc. proc.!:D

Miles

i have one of those lockers and had one since they came out. THAT THING HOOOKS!!! NO QUESTIONS!!! i would never! use anything else. it is a lot stronger and less parts to go wrong than a lsd. i promise you wont be dissappointed! al.

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
Drive it every day for 2 years(daily driver)(50 miles every day), then look at the cross shaft, the cross shaft hole and the cogs....

tell me how ya feel then...

·
Registered
309 Posts
lsd units are all the same principle just different names
1. gm= positraction
2. ford= limited slip
3. dodge= sure grip
4. amc= twin grip
however I used eatons unit because it's rebuidable auburns is not, thatswhy the cone types suck
Oh yeah and if your sticking with the 8.2 use the TA performance stud guirdle cover $160.00 from what I read it is the single best upgrade you can use to improve the strength of the 8.2

·
Registered
509 Posts
lsd units are all the same principle just different names
1. gm= positraction
2. ford= limited slip
3. dodge= sure grip
4. amc= twin grip
however I used eatons unit because it's rebuidable auburns is not, thatswhy the cone types suck
Oh yeah and if your sticking with the 8.2 use the TA performance stud guirdle cover $160.00 from what I read it is the single best upgrade you can use to improve the strength of the 8.2
No so. The Toms Differential billet steel carrier bearing cap is HALF the price and prevents more deflection than the cover. The cover only uses a set screw, single point in the middle of the stock cap which helps. The billet cap is much larger and uses 1/2 studs which equals more clamping force. The ring gear under load pushes the carrier into the left cap. On the right side the carrier is forced into the saddle of the diff. Thats why only one cap is needed.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts

Scott
Scott, good information there. That billet bearing cap makes sense. Tom's Differentials has a good selection of parts and a good explanation of that billet cap's benifits-this is the first I've heard of this. My Brother-in-law has a 66 II with an 8.2 w/4.10's/eaton that he's been pounding on for over 20 years and I can't figure out how it's survived. I don't think it has ever dead hooked off the line though.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
No so. The Toms Differential billet steel carrier bearing cap is HALF the price and prevents more deflection than the cover. The cover only uses a set screw, single point in the middle of the stock cap which helps. The billet cap is much larger and uses 1/2 studs which equals more clamping force. The ring gear under load pushes the carrier into the left cap. On the right side the carrier is forced into the saddle of the diff. Thats why only one cap is needed.
What kind of machining needs to be done to the housing to use one of these billet caps?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts