Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am getting ready to start building a new motor for my 72 Nova. I am looking for sugestions for parts selection. I have an existing .030 over standard deck 454 2 bolt main 1974 block. I want to make around 700hp. I want to run pump gas. (I may throw a 150 to 200 shot of NOS at it at some point so keep that in mind). I am planing on either a hydraulic roller or solid roller but I would like to go hydraulic if at all possible so I don't have to mess with lash and I want it to be easy on the valve train. I am thinking stroker kit, 496 and a decent set of aluminum heads. I do have a Victor Jr for oval port heads and a good set of gm 781 oval port heads that I had 2.19 1.88 valves installed and some porting and polishing. I would rather lighten the car up and sell the 781's (let me know if you might be interested in the heads by PM and I can send you details on the heads. They are assmbled, manley swirl cut valves, 3 angle valve job, all comp cams hardware and springs ect.). I hope to get some good ideas, let me know what you think.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
I would build a long rod 496 with AFR heads.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Sounds like your build is appraoching 700 hp and 700 lbs/ft. Is that stock block up for the challenge?

I ask because I recently learned how fragile a Ford 302 block can be with only 400 hp. Seems many engine builders don't have much confidence on stock sbc blocks over ~500 hp. I really don't know where the threashold of a 2 bolt BBC is, but i gotta think you are close with those numbers.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I have built at least 10 or 12 stock 2 bolt BB and they all made 700 to 760 HP and never had a problem yet. One's sitting in the shop now, 460 and it made 702 hp with stock iron heads and a old Victor2 jr intake.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'm sure there are plenty of stock blocks in that ballpark, but I guess I'm asking if that is near the limit?

Spending all that for AFR heads and a nice bottom end (not talking SCAT, etc) then I think a good block might be up for consideration. Sounds like you're saying no worries.

·
Registered
97 Posts
you might want to concider studs for the bottom end, or at least new bolts. most H beam rods fit with little to no clearencing with a 4.25 stroke in a stock block. what ever rod you do buy, make sure you get the best bolts money can buy. for 700hp your going to have to spin it a little, if you have cheap rod bolts odds are it may go kaboom! I would invest in a good set of heads, there are plenty of good heads that can support 700hp right out of the box.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
20 Yrs ago I went to Fultons shop and asked him how much power a 2 bolt block could stand. He told me with main studs installed I would be fine at 850 HP. I've never made more than 760 but no issues at that level with studs in the mains.

·
Registered
49 Posts
agreed, block will be fine. ford 302's and four bolt 400 sbc's are weak blocks and wont come close to what a 2 bolt bbc will take. it doesnt take a wild head to make that power, unported dart pro-1's with a hydro roller will make 700 on pump gas all day.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Here is my old combo - 496 . 10.7 compression ( 91 octane always) . 18cc small dome mahle pistons , canfield 310 heads 113 chambers ( unported) . hurricane intake i spent alot of time cleaning up , holley 1050 2 circuit , 2 inch headers , solid roller 268-272 .708 -.708 lift on a 108lsa ..... 5k converter , 4.33 gear , 30 inch street slick . in a 62 nova 3481lbs with me driving it ! consistent 6.50 @ 108mph ... in a stadium parking lot ! LOL crappy traction , best 60ft 1.57 ... and i drive it to and from the track ,and car shows ! just a real nice combo , that gets 5mpg on the freeway . i figure its making around 700hp . OR 400 IF YOU USE ONE OF THOSE RIDICULOUS CALCULATORS ! LOL .

OH , and it would run the same number shifting 7400 rpm . or 6500 rpm .:confused:

·
Registered
577 Posts
Check out Team Chevelle performance section. Tons of Big Block builds and some very knowledgeable people over there.

Carl 66

·
Registered
160 Posts
Bill, that style of stuff HAS been done more then a couple times, but there is some work in the heads to get there with hyd. roller. I know of a few different ways and people. It's rather an easy biuld just have to watch what/how your going about this and leave the salesman/internet "pros" behind.

Post this on 'Bullet in N/A section and you'll get some good replys from people who have done it. Guys like Scott Foxwell (509 canfield, pump gas, hyd roller 730hp), Chad Speir, Curtis Boggs, Mark Jones (Vortec Pro engine , 496 pump gas 3600 lbs car runs mid 9's N/A).

Hope this helps

1 - 12 of 12 Posts