·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
Update, September 28, 2021:

Returned Brodix heads and got refund.
Bought Magnum 280H cam for old 355 still in car
Bought BPE 8002K heads
Stripped some paint in select areas to assess full damage and bondo (typical lipstick on a pig)
Started designing widebody kit parameters
Found a brand new dash on CL for $100 from a guy up the hill who wants my back seat parts so we may do a swap

That's it for now... No time like the present for one distraction after the next to keep me from working on METHTRAPNOVA... But I have a plan now and I'm sticking to the schedule now that it's cooling off here on the west coast and the smoke has died down a bit. Just gotta get a fresh tank of C25 for the old welder and I'm ready to go!

My youngest has apparently found a new home in the wheelwell of his friend's IS300 drifter so... he's sleeping in there through lunch! :p
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Hood Car

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
Kid's been workin hard getting his SC400 wheel fitment perfect and installing his new door panels.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car
Car Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle
Car Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Watch

I love my "mini-me" son! He has his own path but I'm damn glad it involves hotrods and V8s!! He loves working on them with me too!!

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
3 pedal club... nice.
Tremec 5-speed in that baby. Built 406, 12 bolt, 3:73, pretty nice car on the inside. A bit misleading from the outside. Not really a sleeper but you'd never know what was lurking under the hood. Funny story, my best friend I've known since I was 11 and grew up with in the neighborhood, was working on a house and I stopped by to check his progress. Was looking on CL and saw this post for a dash and some door panels for a '68 and decided to contact the guy. I showed my friend the post and he instantly recognized the interior as one which another friend of his had sold last year. He was laughing his a$$ off. The guy who sold it bought a newer C5/C6 'Vette... mid-life crisis car I guess... hahahaha. I confirmed it was in fact the Nova he had sold and went up to meet the guy selling the parts on Sat. They weren't out of the car yet so... a bit of a frustrating trip all the way up the hill but it was a nice drive.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
Traded a few spare '62-65 seals and gaskets I had laying around unused to a guy I got some Weldstars from earlier this year. We forged a good cordial relationship and we talk periodically and yesterday he hit me up asking about some gaskets I told him I had that I would give him. Went out to deliver them to him and he traded me these for 'em :) I was just going to give them to him but it was a good swap so happy on both sides. His car is going out for paint next month (really nice '65 Chevy II). Nice billet license plate frame (NEW, dirty plastic cover but good on the inside) and a good puke tank. No complaints!!! :) Thanks, Carl! Hope you join SNS soon!!

Brown Wood Font Pattern Motif
Wood Gas Hardwood Machine Metal

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
So, folks... contemplating rear leaf spring packages for my build at the moment... going to be a combo plate of handling and straight line performance so not really sure what to do here. I have the CalTracs and rear sliders sitting here waiting for me to pull the trigger. Looking to get 1.5-2" lower on the thing, using blocks or just the spring if I can but I have multi-leaf perches on the rear end now, I can mod as necessary but looking for some advice/input from all parties, nothing held back. I'm here to learn, not to admonish or ignore so let 'er rip!! Manual trans, after all said and done at least 400 RWH, no nitrous, just cent blower. looking to hook from a dig and have some fair to decent handling characteristics. Am i asking for too much? I can build anything needed to make it work, metal is my friend but I really don't know what is available for what I'm looking for these days. Used to be we just built it and modded as necessary with spring rates and spacers, shackles and blocks, tires and pressure... Now there are so many options I'm totally overwhelmed... A good thing to have options but I need to make informed decisions, not guess (not as much as before at least).

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'd imagine the calvert split mono's would work well for you, they run them on darn fast cars with the caltracs. I think they have some sort of adapter for the old multi-leaf perches that's basically a lowering block but I didn't have to worry about that. I do wish mine sat a little lower (I got -1" and added another 1" of block) but the car is still in pieces so I'm not sure how much more it will drop when it's assembled.
They use sliders for roundy round cars so I'd imagine they would work well for turning right and left. If you wanted it more solid in the rear you could always add a rear sway bar.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
Thanks for the input! @xxdabroxx Dave! I looked at those and think I may go with the lowering springs and then adjust up/down from there. The rates looked good and with the sliders, should give me enough body roll to keep the traction but not overwhelm the suspension. I know asking to do both straight and handling is a no-win situation too have it be excellent in both, but doing both things well is all I'm after, not one or the other so... coupled with the 8-point (for now) and the sub-frame connectors all welded in with reinforced front spring-eye pockets, should be stiff enough for some good canyon-carving duty and still give me the weight transfer to pull from a dig without totally turning it to a pretzel. that's what I'm after. :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Thanks for the input! @xxdabroxx Dave! I looked at those and think I may go with the lowering springs and then adjust up/down from there. The rates looked good and with the sliders, should give me enough body roll to keep the traction but not overwhelm the suspension. I know asking to do both straight and handling is a no-win situation too have it be excellent in both, but doing both things well is all I'm after, not one or the other so... coupled with the 8-point (for now) and the sub-frame connectors all welded in with reinforced front spring-eye pockets, should be stiff enough for some good canyon-carving duty and still give me the weight transfer to pull from a dig without totally turning it to a pretzel. that's what I'm after. :)
For the drag strip you could always steal the sway bar disconnect idea from the offroaders for a front sway bar. And if you have double adjustable shocks on all corners you should be able to take notes in a log book and adjust for either. Loose rebound with tight compression up front for the drag strip and tighter all around for cornering.

Shocks aren't cheap but I think the double adjustable ones are going to be worth it. I went with QA1 because I had a hard time finding info on Viking without calling and bothering someone before I was ready to buy but I've heard a lot of good about them. They're likely better than the QA1 but I liked that I could find info on the QA1 more easily and their tech dept. was really good to work with too.

BUT, I haven't driven on them yet.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
For the drag strip you could always steal the sway bar disconnect idea from the offroaders for a front sway bar. And if you have double adjustable shocks on all corners you should be able to take notes in a log book and adjust for either. Loose rebound with tight compression up front for the drag strip and tighter all around for cornering.

Shocks aren't cheap but I think the double adjustable ones are going to be worth it. I went with QA1 because I had a hard time finding info on Viking without calling and bothering someone before I was ready to buy but I've heard a lot of good about them. They're likely better than the QA1 but I liked that I could find info on the QA1 more easily and their tech dept. was really good to work with too.

BUT, I haven't driven on them yet.
Yeah, I've heard a lot of good on the Vikings too... Still need to decide if I'm going the stock front LCA/UCA boxed and Guildstrand mod or going with some decent tubulars. I have a good idea how I want the front to end up but the QA1 and Viking may be a bit tough in stock U/LCAs without some mods... I still have time to worry about that stuff, still need to pull the motor and and trans, and the entire front end out first for suspension, steering, new cam for the kid, electrical, dash, rebuild the M22 with the supercase, sooo much to do, you know all about that. Need to do everything... but the summer is nearly over so it's time to start cutting!!! FINALLY!

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
Looks like you're going right around the corner.
Sadly, already bought and paid for and I would rather have new parts with an ability to send back if they're jacked up rather than caveat emptor yet another part... Lol. I totally would buy them but... Too late!! Ugh. Hahahaha.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
Update 10-11-2021:

Camped all weekend at the coast with the GF and had a great time! Weather was perfect and couldn't ask for a nicer few days at the beach. Maiden voyage in the newest pop-up trailer and we found a few things we need to tighten up but it worked well and we had no issues towing it.

METHTRAPNOVA update: AEROMOTIVE TANK FINALLY SHOWED UP!!! Ordered it in March, delivered today, October 11, 2021. SHEESH!!! Cam and lifter/timing kit showed up last week, waiting for the new heads and rear leaf springs to ship and then we begin the tear-down.
Font Rectangle Paper Brand Paper product
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Rim

FINALLY!

161 - 180 of 274 Posts