Chevy Nova Forum banner
121 - 140 of 160 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Been rebuilding this for the last couple months so... METHTRAPNOVA is on vacation for a few. Gotta get this done before next weekend for a fishing trip with the girlfriend. Grabbed this thing for $650. Had a busted cable in the cranking mechanism so... I made 4 new ones and rebuilt the thing so it should last another 15-20 years... Just putting the finishing touches on it.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
@lwlevens I threw a small braze on the eyes to keep them from stretching. The guys at the trailer shop said they're supposed to stretch and fail before the cables do but I went up to a 3mm aircraft cable from 2.25mm crap from the factory so.. not sure the cables or the eyes will be the weak links here and I doubled the crimped ends up on the terminations so... thinking they are here to stay! Pretty cool setup really... Ingenious invention and very simple once revealed. The trailer was sitting in a driveway for a few years and then in a field for a couple more. Talked the guy down quite a lot to reach the $650 we landed at and then, got it home to start the tear down. Just about ready to finish up but the fires here in N. Cali are pretty nasty and my days of smoke eating are long over since I hung up my turnouts for the last time. Project on hold for the next day or so until the smoke clears up. Not going to go kill myself in that crap!

Been working on this smaller one too and almost finished it but then we got the newer and much bigger one above so.. skipping around from trailer to trailer...

Needless to say, it had been leaking for some time and was pretty thrashed... however...

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
So again today, my efforts are foiled once again by the firs and smoke. I am fortunate enough to not live in the fire zones and I have much empathy for those who are at risk of or have lost their homes and all they own to fires here. I was a firefighter in a previous life and have fought structural and forest fires alike. Forest fires are unpredictable and will kill you faster than any structure fire and I have the utmost respect for my brothers and sisters out there trying to kick these fires' asses but our weather and the loss of our water systems and storage have left our state and many other western states to burn. The struggle continues!! The air quality is so mad I am staying inside for the foreseeable future.
This is a picture on Hwy 50 to Lake Tahoe about a half hour ago from live streaming cameras along the roadway. there is ash all over the lens:

This is the air quality in California at the moment. The blue dot in the middle is me:

Needless to say, we're totally FUBAR and SNAFU!

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
It's friggin' nasty! My niece was evacuated yesterday and pretty sure their home was burned to the ground. They literally just bought it... Like within the last couple months... But, like anywhere else this stuff happens, location location location. Don't build in a flood zone, don't build on a fault line and don't build where there are repeatedly burned zones in a forest. Sage advice... Oh, and on cliffs... And in tornado alley... Or Detroit .. lol... Ugh

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Thanks, @kimmer71 !! It sucks but, is what it is here on the west coast. We all have our battles wherever we are. The rainy season can't come soon enough but if it's anything like last year, the entire country is totally screwed!! :p :oops:

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Thanks, @kimmer71 !! It sucks but, is what it is here on the west coast. We all have our battles wherever we are. The rainy season can't come soon enough but if it's anything like last year, the entire country is totally screwed!! :p :oops:

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Well, update time! Got the Brodix heads out of the box at delivery and saw a couple things that concerned me about the quality. Thought on it for about a month and decided tonight they're going back to Speedway for an exchange for different heads, different manufacturer, different setup. Looking in the runners and ports, the quality I had expected from Brodix, along with the efficiency between flowing the exhaust compared to the intake and the heads really aren't all that great for HP/TQ number potential without some real work. Decided to go with the BluePrint engine H8002K Muscle Series 195cc heads with the 64cc chambers. Their flow rates are far better across int/exh comparison for differential and should make better power across the board especially with the little blower I'm going to be stuffing the motor full with. here's the differences on the flows, just for giggles and empiricism:

Brodix IK200
Rectangle Font Number Screenshot Parallel

BPE H8002K
Font Screenshot Number Rectangle

While the BPE heads don't quite flow as much on intake, the exhaust flows far better and with a little port and bowl cleanup work, they should flow with the blower like gangbusters out the exhaust for what they are and they're $200 cheaper than the Brodix too...

@.600 the Brodix have a flow differential Int/Exh of 85 CFM (runners: 200 cc int/ exh not stated)
The total intake flow @.600 is 261
The total exhaust flow @.600 is 176

@.600 the BPE have a flow differential Int/Exh of 32 CFM (Runners: 195 cc int/ 75 cc exh)
The total intake flow @.600 is 245
The total exhaust flow @.600 is 213

Doing the math, the BPE heads have more total flow potential and they flow even better @ .500

@.500 the Brodix have a flow differential Int/Exh of 82 CFM

The total intake flow @.500 is 253
The total exhaust flow @.500 is 171

@.500 the BPE have a flow differential Int/Exh of 45 CFM

The total intake flow @.500 is 252
The total exhaust flow @.500 is 207

so... Any thoughts from the peanut gallery? I'm open to suggestions from all parties, all content, all comers.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
Honestly, I wasn't impressed with the castings of the Brodix heads. Maybe because it's their low-end stuff but port to port, the measurements weren't consistent and I got anywhere from 3-12cc differential across all 8 intake and all 8 exhaust ports which really bothers me for quality control. I am a stickler for that and at the price, I get it but that's a big span... Not to mention you can tell just looking at the ports they aren't the same. And the casting flash and surface in the ports is pretty rough too. Not impressed one way or another. i know they're not pro-heads but... damn... I'd be embarrassed if I had these come out of my shop... The BPE heads may or may not be any different and I have no experience with them yet... but soon will... I'll keep posting with results...

121 - 140 of 160 Posts